What Do You Find The Most Challenging About This Hobby?

FishLover01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most challenging thing for me is the weekly water changes and regular water testing. I have a full time job working 45 hours a week so finding the time is a challenge.

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to agree with the above about the testing and water chemistry.
Find it's easy to keep stable "good" water, filter with several methods, under stock, do regular water changes really is all it takes.....but if you going ok no I want it all the Thrive. I want it to not just be ocean "like" but perfect conditions....

Then I need simple, reliable tests...hell make it fun to that be nice.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most challenging to me is getting the right chemistry balance for your tank. Nutrient balance and and the big one for me ALK

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most challenging thing I find about the hobby, is the lack of science and understanding, in many attitudes, and the absence of the want, to progress. There's a few people you meet here and there that truly understand how complex the ocean is, and the creatures we keep, and the requirements they need. But the majority of people, who buy creatures, kill creatures, and then don't give a second thought to "random deaths" are probably only in the hobby because they watched some animated movie about the ocean, and wanted a clownfish.
And then second to that is the reduction of populations in the ocean. Or perhaps money-makers that import countless creatures, and the large amounts of deaths attributed to that.
But then if you were to take a poll, the majority of people would probably swear the hobby saves the ocean. :/

It's pretty sobering at times to be part of that, but until some regulations or rules are solidified to perhaps license people, it's a free for all. Funny part is, there's a LFS near me, who has 12"x12" boxes they keep new stock in, but they cram an insane amount of creatures in it. You can see the more sensitive animals withering away as they don't have enough food in there for their requirements, yet when someone buys something more delicate, the guys there will remark 'just so you know they need daily feedings of pods, or such'. But they don't even do that in the store, and I can only imagine the number of deaths...

Now take those numbers and compound them, and you'll probably be halfway to the amount of corals killed by the "hobby"...

Last edited:

Bingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
steps i do:

1. proposal - tells why that i need to have this kind of light (blah2x)
2. introduction - goes to the LFS show her the light and of course the price (always says expensive)
3. bargainig- invite her for a date go to her favorite restaurant( at the end of the date dont forget to mention the light)
4. budget approval- asks if the budget for the light is included already ( usually tells her i can sacrifice other things to give way for the light)
5. budget release- (still not the happiest part) coz it goes through a scrutiny again.
6. re introduction- goes to LFS again and show her the light ( will ask LFS for a sale or discount) explain the product to her what it does why i need it and what benefit the corals will get.
7. she's always first - goes out shopping to buy some stuff before i can take my lights
8. the purchase- goes back to LFS and purchase finally the light( the happiest moment)
9. The Last Stand- she always tells me that this would be the last addition to my Tank. of course il say Yes. =)
10. after one week - repeat from STEP 1. hahahahaha.

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PATIENCE. This is the most difficult thing in my opinion. It's always tempting to do something just because it seems easier than waiting for things to naturally work themselves out.

I agree with this one for sure!

Best way to introduce new purchases into the tank without my wife catching me

This comment is just gold! Pure gold!

FLAdaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, the most difficult thing is to adapt to the learning curve. When I think back to when I started the hobby, I had a 55g with hang on back filtration. Countless dollars later, I have way better equipment and way better livestock. If I could have one thing it would have to be patience. I wish I had the patience to take a tank, buy equipment, and slowly set it up. And more money....

Fercho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say some TYPE OF TECHNOLOGY that would GIVE YOU a real time, accurate readings of your NO, PHOS, ALK, CAL, MAG, SALINITY, TEMPERATURE levels.
Since those are the most basic and important elements for success in the hobby.

The rest of the stuff i think i can handle ok.

Klaas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!
For an English project I was assigned to create a product to help others. Empathy by Design was the theme. Anyhow, I need sources for the assignment and who better to ask than actual reefers them selves. Thus, what aspect(s) of the hobby do you find the most challenging? What type of product would make it better?
Thank you in advance.

Keeping my phosphates under control

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As quite a few have said...real time monitoring of Alk, Nitrates, Calcium and Phosphates but I would add a self learning algorithm to automatically adjust dosing as required

Cheers!

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is hard for me also, I see all these great tanks and I want mine just like that one so I start changing things and I never give anything long enough to work. I am in a group we meet twice a week, Hi my name is nitro and I am a reef a holic.

RubenG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or like, what happened to nemo after he was found, where is he now, has he had any little nemos, does he have a job, thats what i really find hardest about this hobby, especially every time i look at my clownfish, :D lol jk

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back