What do YOU want to know?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should put up pictures of various fish with various diseases and describe the symptoms they have while they are alive and what happened just before they died along with what they looked like just after they died.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about some instructional how-to videos?
How to do TTM; How to effectively sterilize a nasty tank; How to administer various treatments without killing your fish/corals; How to properly read an ammonia badge, etc...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about some instructional how-to videos?
How to do TTM; How to effectively sterilize a nasty tank; How to administer various treatments without killing your fish/corals; How to properly read an ammonia badge, etc...

I did one on TTM with @reefwiser

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Be kind! :)
How about we be humble instead

I like all these ideas

Now maybe it's because I'm a newer reefer but I learn by being shown something instead of reading. So like videos or pictures of what you are trying to explain is the biggest help to me.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Be kind! :)

Hahaha I love it. @Paul B has to be jealous of your hair! And thanks for the very informative video. You guys didn't miss a thing. It was awesome and you talked me into doing TTM on my next fish. Piece of cake.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One comprehensive list of all resources that are available in and around this forum. Things like hitchhiker guide from lionfish and other resources that are frequently used by aquarists. There are so many good stickies at the top of most forums, but unless I am unaware, no central place to go look for resources.

I second this. As a newbie I know many of my questions have been asked before and sometimes I can find threads by searching but it would be great if there was a central location to find answers to FAQ like which fish are good for beginners, corals to avoid, corals for beginners, QT methods etc.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Two more ideas...

1) a list of the "accessories" you need. For example to do water changes I need a RODI, salt, buckets, container to mix salt water, heater, thermometer, power head or pump, power strip to plug the heater and pump, aquarium siphon, some way to get water from mixing container to buckets... The RODI, salt and mixing container are obvious; the thermometer not so much, until you're in the process and then you go "oh, yeah" and have to make that extra trip to the LFS. I've had a LOT of those trips and on-line ordering for stuff I just didn't think about.

2) Discussion on the state of wild reefs. I know some harvest programs will basically strip a reef down and others are done without cyanide and are careful not to deplete the resource. I'd love to know more about with locations are "good" and which aren't. Add to that a list of fish/inverts/corals that should be avoided becauses they are CITES listed as endangered. I teach ecology and so I'm being very careful about which fish/inverts/corals I get and where they come from but it isn't easy to find information on many species.

Thanks for this great thread of ideas!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha I love it. @PaulB has to be jealous of your hair! And thanks for the very informative video. You guys didn't miss a thing. It was awesome and you talked me into doing TTM on my next fish. Piece of cake.
I'm not sure that is a solid plan. Velvet seems to be running rampant right now and TTM does nothing for it. There are some species that you have no choice but to do TTM. Not saying you shouldn't do it, only that you need to be prepared with a good observation period when you are done and be prepared to treat with copper or CP if signs of velvet show themselves.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that is a solid plan. Velvet seems to be running rampant right now and TTM does nothing for it. There are some species that you have no choice but to do TTM. Not saying you shouldn't do it, only that you need to be prepared with a good observation period when you are done and be prepared to treat with copper or CP if signs of velvet show themselves.

Velvet would show itself in observation. I am extremely detailed oriented and have a keen eye for noticing if something is wrong. My biggest obstacle is knowing which path to take (if something is wrong).

I've never done TTM before and would like to try it and get some experience. Someday I will have copper sensitive fish (wrasses and a mandy). So there's no better time to start practicing than the present.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet would show itself in observation. I am extremely detailed oriented and have a keen eye for noticing if something is wrong. My biggest obstacle is knowing which path to take (if something is wrong).

I've never done TTM before and would like to try it and get some experience. Someday I will have copper sensitive fish (wrasses and a mandy). So there's no better time to start practicing than the present.
Velvet should show itself, I would just highly recommend doing a 4 week observation once done with TTM. The TTM could keep the level of velvet infestation low enough to not show symptoms until a week or 2 after the TTM is complete.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Two more ideas...

1) a list of the "accessories" you need. For example to do water changes I need a RODI, salt, buckets, container to mix salt water, heater, thermometer, power head or pump, power strip to plug the heater and pump, aquarium siphon, some way to get water from mixing container to buckets... The RODI, salt and mixing container are obvious; the thermometer not so much, until you're in the process and then you go "oh, yeah" and have to make that extra trip to the LFS. I've had a LOT of those trips and on-line ordering for stuff I just didn't think about.

2) Discussion on the state of wild reefs. I know some harvest programs will basically strip a reef down and others are done without cyanide and are careful not to deplete the resource. I'd love to know more about with locations are "good" and which aren't. Add to that a list of fish/inverts/corals that should be avoided becauses they are CITES listed as endangered. I teach ecology and so I'm being very careful about which fish/inverts/corals I get and where they come from but it isn't easy to find information on many species.

Thanks for this great thread of ideas!

Funny you should mention thermometer cuz I have broken so many of them in the past. Especially those floating glass kinds with the suction cup. Either the suction cup comes undone and slams the thermometer into the corner of the tank which can break it (I should know), or even doing a water change can break them (again I should know). So now I only use the cute little sensor type ones. [emoji57]

Oh, and by the way, a broken thermometer in the tank with livestock can kill (mercury).

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet should show itself, I would just highly recommend doing a 4 week observation once done with TTM. The TTM could keep the level of velvet infestation low enough to not show symptoms until a week or 2 after the TTM is complete.

Exactly it! I plan to observe for at least 2 weeks...maybe more....velvet scared the crap out of me before and I won't be ignorant enough to go through it again. Better to be safe than sorry. [emoji846]

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the locked reference manual idea. It would be nice to link to this areas for a quick reference versus starting a string. It would also be nice to have a picture book and description of harmful coral hitchhikers and which type of corals they attack.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking about this post earlier, would like to learn a few different things, some might even be possible to find on the site already.

Would like to know what fish can sustain a freshwater dip
Would like to know what the best way to cycle dry rock is, with levels required for acid and whatnot along with temp and time needed.
Would like to know what household items can be used in and around the tank without problems (bleach, vinegar, vodka)
Would like to know better in depth about what fish shouldn't be mixed, along with what introverts people have better success with as opposed to others
Would like to know really what is compatible with others (corals, fish, introverts)
Would like to know what hitchhikers I should watch out for, and how to remove them
Would like to have a better visual representation of common illnesses and how to see them (if visible) (flukes, ich)

Sorry this is quite a list.. honestly just sat around and thought of different things I don't know about, but would like to learn.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! these are all amazing! We've already started working on getting some of them brought to life. One in particular can now be found in the stickies in this forum!

Have you all thought of anything else? Keep them coming... I'm making a list ;)

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some write up about no sand in a refugium, vs a deep sand bed.

An in depth look of different filtration whether it be gfo and carbon or something cooler like the bio balls or the block things, including if they have any upsides or downsides.

Good in depth look at a simple yet effective plumbing setup under the tank, (manifolds quick connects, pvc vs soft pvc, elbows and loss of pressure, return line setups and if 1 vs 2 return output beneficial or not.

Different type of skimmers and what is actually going on underneath vs different designs

If one should stir or vacuum or do anything to the sand bed

Hopefully I'm not annoying, and sorry for giving a bunch of ideas rather than just disease related.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some write up about no sand in a refugium, vs a deep sand bed.

An in depth look of different filtration whether it be gfo and carbon or something cooler like the bio balls or the block things, including if they have any upsides or downsides.

Good in depth look at a simple yet effective plumbing setup under the tank, (manifolds quick connects, pvc vs soft pvc, elbows and loss of pressure, return line setups and if 1 vs 2 return output beneficial or not.

Different type of skimmers and what is actually going on underneath vs different designs

If one should stir or vacuum or do anything to the sand bed

Hopefully I'm not annoying, and sorry for giving a bunch of ideas rather than just disease related.

That's more than fine. I can forward these other ideas to the article contributors and see if we can get some of them going. I know that more than a few are already on the "to do" list for articles, so be on the look out in the article area for those. ;)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back