What do YOU want to know?

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread idea. Here's some topics I am interested in:

Pros and cons of different methods of carbon dosing (biopellets, nopox, vodka, etc)

More about invertebrates and invertebrate health and biology. I realize this is a broad topic so maybe it could be broken down into different things like shrimp, clams, urchins, etc

Detailed care advice for some of the harder to keep species, including qt procedures specialized for the fish. Such as moorish idols, ribbon eels, etc.

What diseases are common with which fish and how to account for it. Like tangs are susceptible to ich, clowns to brook.

I would really love a simple question simple answer thread as well for those questions that aren't worth a whole thread

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Stickies a lot but don't always know if something has been added to it or if something's been removed.

I want to know if there's any way to send out an alert (or something) whenever a Stickie is updated. I don't know how you would be able to do that, but it's an idea. That way we can all be up-to-date on the most recent information.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread idea. Here's some topics I am interested in:

Pros and cons of different methods of carbon dosing (biopellets, nopox, vodka, etc)

More about invertebrates and invertebrate health and biology. I realize this is a broad topic so maybe it could be broken down into different things like shrimp, clams, urchins, etc

Detailed care advice for some of the harder to keep species, including qt procedures specialized for the fish. Such as moorish idols, ribbon eels, etc.

What diseases are common with which fish and how to account for it. Like tangs are susceptible to ich, clowns to brook.

I would really love a simple question simple answer thread as well for those questions that aren't worth a whole thread

I love your suggestion regarding "Simple Question, Simple Answer". We really need that IMO.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Stickies a lot but don't always know if something has been added to it or if something's been removed.

I want to know if there's any way to send out an alert (or something) whenever a Stickie is updated. I don't know how you would be able to do that, but it's an idea. That way we can all be up-to-date on the most recent information.

You can follow each thread in the stickies. That will alert you to new posts, or changes made. That might help :)

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your suggestion regarding "Simple Question, Simple Answer". We really need that IMO.

You should start it! Title it "Quick Question / Short Answer" But then you have to ask a question.... o_O

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can follow each thread in the stickies. That will alert you to new posts, or changes made. That might help :)

What I mean is, let's say for example that Humblefish adds a new picture of a sick fish. I wouldn't really know that picture was added. Does that make sense?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I mean is, let's say for example that Humblefish adds a new picture of a sick fish. I wouldn't really know that picture was added. Does that make sense?

If you follow the thread, he will (almost always) post that he made a change to the OP. So you'll still get the alert. That's really all we can do to alert anybody of a change.... that I know of.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know....in the unfortunate event where a fish dies, what should we do with the body? I get the impression that people either dispose of it immediately or take a few pictures then dispose of it.

Should it be kept for a little while in case further identification of the cause needs to be looked into? If so, what is the best way of doing that?

And also, are there any procedures that should be performed immediately upon its death such as a fresh water dip to check for flukes?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know....in the unfortunate event where a fish dies, what should we do with the body? I get the impression that people either dispose of it immediately or take a few pictures then dispose of it.

Should it be kept for a little while in case further identification of the cause needs to be looked into? If so, what is the best way of doing that?

And also, are there any procedures that should be performed immediately upon its death such as a fresh water dip to check for flukes?
That is a great idea. I may take this one on. A procedure based on an "unknown" death. Maybe tailoring it to different hobbyists experience levels up to, and including, using a microscope for gill clippings.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I may sound evil.. but has anyone just left a small fish to continue to be consumed by the tank mates? Seems dangerous possibly if the fish was ill and it transferred, but it seems my clean up crew finds stuff before I do. Not that I've had any deaths recently *knocks on wood*

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may sound evil.. but has anyone just left a small fish to continue to be consumed by the tank mates? Seems dangerous possibly if the fish was ill and it transferred, but it seems my clean up crew finds stuff before I do. Not that I've had any deaths recently *knocks on wood*
Happens all the time. And it really depends on what the fish was sick with. Inverts are rarely impacted by things that make fish sick and the stomach acids will kill most things that infect a fish. I wouldn't do it on purpose, but I wouldn't worry if it happens.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you follow the thread, he will (almost always) post that he made a change to the OP. So you'll still get the alert. That's really all we can do to alert anybody of a change.... that I know of.

I figured it would be a challenge if not impossible to send out an alert every time information was changed by the REEF2REEF staff (within a stickie).

I think stickies should be "Read Only" and written by REEF2REEF staff. If a poster wants to say something he/she would do it off the stickie. Again, just a thought. [emoji6]

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @melypr1985 I'm currently looking for info on treatment/diagnosing neurological issues. This might be another topic to cover.

Not trying to derail the thread. I believe my Purple tang has experienced a stroke due to a gradual rise in salinity over a couple days. Went from 1.025 to 1.028. Fish is currently discombobulated. Bumping into things upon swimming in water column and bouncing off the bottom of the tank at times. Fish is eating just fine only apparent symptom is the right eye had appeared slightly bigger than the other a couple days prior to swimming behavior change. No cloudiness or parasites present in eyes. Currently both eyes appear to be fairly normal and almost appear to be dilated. I have since moved the fish to QT and acclimated to match the QT salinity. So far I'm on a second dose of Kanaplex and Vitamin C. It's been 4 days in QT and I've seen some improvement in behavior/swimming patterns. Fish is eating plenty of Nori-Purple,Green and Red, Chlorella flakes, New Life Spectrum Algae Max Pellets,Thera A+ pellets, Spirulina/brine, roe, and mysis. Food is being soaked in mixtures of Selcon, Brightwell Amino omega 3/6 HUFA,Vitamin C a.nd Kanaplex/Focus Figured I'd go another round of Kanaplex and monitor for a few weeks unless there is some other treatment you might recommend.

The tang has been with me for some time in my display tank. The initial QT treatment was 8 weeks of Cupramine, 4 rounds of prazi and 3 rounds of metroplex before going into the display. Only side affects from treatment was slight HLLE from the extended Cupramine treatment. All signs of HLLE are gone and no signs of scarring.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising salinity didn't do that to your fish. Check ammonia. Did it happen after a water change?
There is no Ammonia present. If there was an ammonia issue the fish(es) would be having issues breathing. The tang was in a fully stocked SPS tank with several other fish. This is the only fish that appeared to be affected from the salinity swing. No water changes in the past two weeks have been done. The swing was due to the ATO sensor getting stuck and not alarming. Other than the swing I cannot pin point what would be the cause of the fishes behavior of swimming and possible partial blindness.

See @Humblefish post on subconjunctival hemorrhage (broken blood vessel in the eye) in this thread below.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/yellow-tang-blind-suddenly-any-ideas-please.247650/

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great idea. I may take this one on. A procedure based on an "unknown" death. Maybe tailoring it to different hobbyists experience levels up to, and including, using a microscope for gill clippings.

That would be an awesome resource @Brew12 ! I had a clown die of a mysterious lesion/bubble on its side and did a complete exam. Took more hours of researching how to do stuff then to perform the procedure.

Had to research:
  • How to put a fish to sleep (was afraid I would have to resort to this but it passed quickly)
  • Fresh water dip
  • How to store fish until I could perform the procedure
  • Fish anatomy (and even then I could not find anything on clown fish)
  • How to open the fish
  • How to do a scale scrape
  • Gram stain
  • What to look for under the microscope with a scale scrape
  • Gill clippings
  • Internal parasites (and checking digestive system for parasites)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.4%
Back