What fish are you so glad you bought?!

AQSstudent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got TWO fish that I'll mention :)

First, my marine betta. Reading about these guys on the forums can lead one to believe they are hit or miss, as they are portrayed to be shy, unfriendly, un-safe towards inverts, and a fish that you may never see. My marine betta is far the opposite! He cruises my 75 all day, albeit at a slow pace. Whenever I'm in the room he's at the glass, begging for food. He also is trained to wait for me to crumple up a cube of hikari frozen food in the water column till it gets about half the original size, and then I lob it to him - he patiently waits for me to get done breaking it up, almost like a puppy who's trained to "sit; wait". (ok, that's a stretch, but that's how it seems!). Seriously awesome fish, glad I got him when I did.

Second mention goes out to my blue stripe pipefish. In a tank full of powerheads, stinging corals, and large (larger than him at least) fish, I was unsure if he would make it. 9 months later he is the trusty resident pod eater, and has filled out to a length of about 3 inches. He's WAY cooler than a mandarin, and the other fish never look at him twice - he must just look like a big armored worm to them. He's constantly cruising in between the aquascape, and even sleeps in the same spot every night upon flashlight inspection. Very cool and unique fish that I'm happy to have in my tank.

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it bad that most fish I've had seem to become my favorite lol, how about the flame hawk fish. I really like them ,always fun to watch the behavior of fish without swim bladders. They are always perching around

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy I added my Longnose Hawk. So happy I added a Flame Hawk too. Both very cool fish. Love the way they perch on the rock

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funnest fish i had was my dog faced puffer. He literally behaved like a dog.

Turtlegirlb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our hoeven's wrasse!

IMG_20160509_182652.jpg

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Assesor

Agree, really like my yellow Assessors. Major bonus points that they are captive bred.

Diamond Goby: I got him purely for the practical reason of sifting my sand, and not only is he extremely efficient at it and my sand is always spotless now, but the added bonus is he is very good looking and fun to watch! Burrowing species are a trip.

Totally agree! When I first put him in, the tank got so cloudy I thought, "Oh no, what have I done?" But soon he got the sandbed all cleaned up, the water cleared up, and he does a great job keeping things clean. Plus a lot of fun to watch going about his business, spitting sand around and digging holes for himself.

Larry

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is the copperbanded butterfly beautiful to look at and I don't have aiptasia in the tank.

There are the obvious exotic fish that all reefers like, but I'm assuming the OP is asking for more common fish that surprisingly have been really cool to own.

My vote goes to the Copperband Butterfly. I initially bought him as a necessary and simple solution to my aiptasia issue, which he quickly knocked out. But he's also a very chill tankmate, shows a lot of personality, and actually eats from my hand.

BigMack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so happy I decided to get 3 engineer gobies. They were so small and cute - and always schooled when they swam. Now they're each at around 6 inches long... the bottom of my tank was boring and flat before I got them... I would wake up each day and find everything exactly the way it was before. Now that I have the gobies, every day is an adventure!

Atlblw10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down my Fuzzy Dwarf! Once he was accustomed he has been a awesome addition... And now is recognizing the "food god".

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back