What is medium lighting?

Dasidius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have been searching the forums and I can't find an answer on what low, medium, and high lighting is. I would like to get a PAR meter and figure out just exactly what my three gen three radios lights are producing. I have a meteor shower coral that I'm bleaching to extinction and I would like to save it. Anybody have an idea on what PAR values constitute low,medium, and high? Thanks!

Supurderek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually think of medium PAR around 250-400 ish. It really depends on what the coral is. I have had that exact coral and lighting sitting around the bottom of my tank with radions g3 @70%. Tank is about 24" tall.

Mel 2038

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those like low light, I have T5's, and had him located in the rock work, mid tank, at around 250 par, and he was totally pale. I moved him down and to the side, and he was better. Then I noticed that the side away from the light, had the most color. So he went to the farthest corner, where the light is least, maybe 60 par, and he colored up nicely. Good Luck!

OP
OP
Dasidius

Dasidius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my meteor shower right near the bottom between a gen three pro and a regular gen 3. The light is on 40 percent and it's pretty much toast. I guess I'll move it under a shelf or something at this point.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
corals will in most cases adapt to different lighting levels. while its been now my observation that acros dont really care for less then 200 250 some like more. but some folke keep even the now lower light ones under intense light with spectacular results. the key seems to be in nutrient balanced to intensity of light, and really good acclimation. it needs to acclimate to the new flow and light from the old tank.And patience, as a lot o acros seem to take a while before the are happy.

fwiw par is zero to 2000 par(full sun day light level) some folks have 1500+ at the top of their tank. thats so you can keep 200-300 par on the sand in a deep tank and grow clams.
new led and par research have most folks imo @ 5-800 par w leds. and 100-150 on the sand. 200 to 500 on nanos

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back In The Day...Medium lighting was a 250 watt MH Equivelant...Or compared to today's equivalent an Ecotech Radion Pro...

I have a 30" deep tank with a Red Carpet Anemone and need a bit more...

I like 200 PAR on the Sand Bed and so does my Carpet Anemone...

A lot of debate here...Some go cheap and claim growth but I have yet to see an outstanding SPS tank with Medium Light...

Bill

OP
OP
Dasidius

Dasidius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to break down and get a PAR meter. I moved my meteor shower under a cliff. I don't know how much less light it can get at this point.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as burning corals...I insist that my supplier has the coral under a Grow PAR not Sustain PAR like some vendors trying to save a few $.

Acclimation is key and if a coral is kept in the dark too long it takes time to bring it back...

Bill

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back In The Day...Medium lighting was a 250 watt MH Equivelant...Or compared to today's equivalent an Ecotech Radion Pro...

I have a 30" deep tank with a Red Carpet Anemone and need a bit more...

I like 200 PAR on the Sand Bed and so does my Carpet Anemone...

A lot of debate here...Some go cheap and claim growth but I have yet to see an outstanding SPS tank with Medium Light...

Bill

Thanks Bill. Always love to hear from the Pros and the Vets.

Back