What is the fish you regret putting in your tank the most?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow watchman goby, covered everything in sand. Spent so much time cleaning off my rocks

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to change mine. I added a Black Combtooth Blenny (Tribal Blenny) killed one big acro colony and damaged another. Then he almost killed a couple of montis , a beautiful war coral and a pocillipora. Took me 5 days to catch the spawn of satan while I watched a years worth of coral growth go away!

jason142

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3, the first was a sixline. I bought a ornate leopard and it was war to the point the ornate would stay in the sand. One day was looking at the tank and the ornate was out swimming around in piece. Found the sixline in the overflow, put him in the sump and sold shortly after that. 2nd was a cherub angel, got it from a fellow reefer that said it didn't touch any corals in his tank. Once added to mine took about 2 days to start nipping at my acans, had to tear the whole tank apart to get the fish out. The 3rd and most recent is my female blue jaw. She tries to bite my had every time I am doing anything in the tank, makes it difficult to do anything when you are constantly looking for a fish to come attacking you out of no where. She got me finally yesterday and even though it makes it a pain to do anything I will not get rid of her.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years ago I rescued a maroon clown. Wife fell in love with her, and before I knew it had me talked into getting her a nem and then a mate. Big mistake. I could live with them attacking my hand, but between them knocking over coral frags & their nem shifting from time to time - has cost me hundreds in corals. About 1/3 of my 150 gal DT is "off limits" to new corals because of them.

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miniatus grouper. The only fish he gets along with are a porcupine puffer and a sargassum trigger. I can't put anything else in the tank without him trying to kill it. Maybe an Undulate trigger, but that would be WWIII. He'll get white tiger stripes when he gets angry. I've tried the mirror trick and that just gets him more belligerent.

The picture below is not mine, but just for reference to show the "tiger stripes" that I'm talking about.

large_9248_Miniatus.jpg

Totally laughed at the use of "belligerent" to describe a fish. I've got 2: sixline wrasse and a splendid dottyback.

The sixline has such amazing colors and movement, it's a shame that it seems like you have a 50/50 chance of getting a jerk. He would chase my shrimp until the point that the shrimp would get itself stuck in a rock. Then the sixline would take his time picking off one leg at a time till all that was left was the head. Then he went for the eyes. It was truly gruesome. I tried to help my last shrimp, but I ended up killing it myself. Brutal.

The splendid was in my dad's tank and another shrimp killer. Really was anti-invert in general. After he killed all the inverts, we noticed he often would not leave the bottom back left corner of the tank. Turns out he was actually keeping a giant stone crab hitch hiker at bay. The crab must have come in as a tiny thing and grown in the tank. The crab was about 3" so the splendid had some big you-know-what to go face to face with him all day. When we finally discovered it, we got the 2 of them out in one swoop.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a six-line and a coral beauty that were best friends. They tried to make my anthias and gramma jump out of the tank for weeks. Then they wouldn't eat anymore. I got fed up with their bs. Caught the little turd-heads and gave them to my lfs. Taught them a lesson.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking how disappointed I am with my trigger line up in my 210. I've been doing triggers since my 1st tank 30 years ago, thought I'd do a more laid back tank. The pinktail was king for about a year, now he lives in the rocks; don't think I've seen a full body shot in over 2 months. The pair of bluejaws; got to be the most jumpy, wimpy, boring triggers I've ever seen. I'm use to the puppy dogs coming up to glass wagging their tails, like my other tank with a niger, clown, and blueline.

Blmain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give you Satan! This Damsel is the worst. I have had him since day one. When I picked him up from the LFS his only purpose was to cycle the tank. He has over stayed his welcome and I can't get rid of him. I have tried many different traps but he is just too smart. Every fish I own will go in the trap, but not this one...no way. I have tried starving the fish for a few days and he just won't do it. One trap was in the tank so long it became covered in coralline algae. Not only is he smart, but he is vicious. He punks the other fish, eats all the food and attacks me every time I put my hand in the tank. Worst roommate ever.

20170115_210446.jpg

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nurse Shark. Named him Sam Bob. Out grew my tanks and kept him in a 300 gallon stock tank. After a few years gave him to a customer in Seattle that had a 1000 gallon tank. Transported him 300 miles in a 50 gallon tank seatbelted in my Hino delivery truck (16500 GVW). He was eating 12" trout like it was a light snak. The owner called me one day and asked for the number to the collector in Florida I purchased him from. By now the shark was over 3'. The 1000 gallon tank was made out of to thin acrylic and bowed like a football so the owner shipped Sam Bob back to Florida and he was re introduced to the wild. That is my story and I am sticking with it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back