What is your target temp?

What is your target temp?

• Total voters

lyscer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 - Like the title states, what is the temp that you try to target in your tanks?
#2 - Now what is your actual temp?

Over Thanksgiving I spoke with a family member that is having a hard time with their tank and things randomly dying or bleaching out. They keep their tank at 76F. I had an issue a while ago with the same thing at the same temp. Ironically I had a heater fail on me this weekend and my tank went from the usual 79F to 76F over a couple days and I had corals lose tissue. I have been playing with my ALK/CA so I thought it was a side effect of that until I saw that my temp was dipping (good thing I have 2 small heaters so the 2nd was trying its best but couldn't keep up.

For those that are more visual, here you go.
Temp-7-day.png

IMG_6226.JPG

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's healthy to target a specific temperature. I like to target a range which is 79-83. I would doubt that a temperature drop of a few degrees would have that kind of impact. I lost power for 6 days a few years ago and had trouble keeping my sps tank above 70. The problem was keeping my alk stable (tank was using 2.5 dkh a day at the time). Most corals will stop growing at about 74.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
77-78 here. I've heard little eggs start to hatch at around 80 or higher. Using even a simple controller helps with temp regulation.

OP
OP
lyscer

lyscer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone! It's good to see the temps that others are targeting.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back