What LED'S

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How difficult would it be to just make something similar to this:

inner-cont-img4.jpg

If I can get 2 strips of these to go along with my metal halides id be happy. Im really happy with my radiums so i doubt id switch them out lol

LEDs get hot, the pic I took cost me that LED as I left it on too long and it got hot enough to melt the solder. I talked to a few engineers and they all say that if you want to get the 11 year life of the CREE LED it has to stay cool. If its too hot to hold its too hot. Next to a radium with that heat sink or lack there of your LEDs wont last long. Also I used to run radiums and after the bulb replacement and heat cost. I'll never go back to MH

Bill

benjabba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have been mentioned, but where is the best place to purchase LED fixtures. I have no problem working on DIY projects but right now I do have a problem with the time needed to work on them. Speaking of time do you guys feel now is the time to invest in a fixture or do you think there will be any significant changes in technology over the next 6 to 12 months that warrent waiting a bit longer. Sorry for the hijack.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The commercial fixtures are well over twice the price. The better ones offer the newer CREE XP-G which is a bit more efficient than the CREE XR-E. I would stay away from the 1 watt LEDs. Pacific Sun makes a nice finished fixture but if you're going to put it in a hood DIY is the way to go, some places even offer to solder the LEDs so all you have to do is attach the driver.

Bill

SPS Addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The commercial fixtures are well over twice the price. The better ones offer the newer CREE XP-G which is a bit more efficient than the CREE XR-E. I would stay away from the 1 watt LEDs. Pacific Sun makes a nice finished fixture but if you're going to put it in a hood DIY is the way to go, some places even offer to solder the LEDs so all you have to do is attach the driver.

Bill

How many 3w cree leds would be needed to equal the par of a 36" T5 ATI blue plus? Id really like to add 2 strips to supplement along my MH. You've got a good point about the heat that the MH releases but id use a powerful fan to direct the heat away from the led strips.

Thanks

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a PAR meter but a 24" fixture with 48 CREE LEDs I did for the JARC Frag Swap had over to twice the LUX of a 1 year old 250watt 10K XM...

500_16-09.jpg

500_26-09.jpg

500_36-09.jpg

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to go LED.....Anybody wanna donate to the cause?...LOL

I take it those pics are with the LEDs?

Chad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED's

RapidLed.com is where I ordered my led's from and they seem to have the best price without worrying about getting the wrong product.
Chad.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the PAR meter and tried several different ballasts my 48 LED frag tank fixture.

I measured the PAR from 24" using 48 LEDs (1:1 CREE Royal Blue and Q5 Cool White with 80 degree optics) on a 24" heatsink from reefledlights.

4 LPC 35-700 296 PAR @ 122 watts
2 LPC 35-700 157 PAR @ 61 watts
2 ELN 60-1050 210 PAR @ 94 watts
1 CLG 150-48 323 PAR @ 146 watts

It looks like the PAR readings with the CREE XR-E LEDS are linear given the same forward voltage and different amp drivers.

I wish I knew about the Mean Well CLG sooner.

uchin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with 60 cree 3wt leds. I advise getting dimmable drivers, noticed some folks have there's on the ceiling. I have kids and plan on putting in front of my tank to keep the powerful rays out there eyes.

Wld1783 I notice your not running fans on your huge setup.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think im going to be going with some SKY Leds, roughly how high should they be off the surface?

Chad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read about the CLG's yet, how many LED's do they run and I heard they had dimmers built right into them on top of the drivers is that true?

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fellow reefer stopped and we tested his 3watt LEDs on the same driver...OMG Half the PAR... IMHO use only CREE XRE Q-5 and Royal Blue.

Chad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of switching my 175 bowfront over to LED's but it would be nice if I didn't need 8 seperate drivers. Does anyone know how many 3 watt cree LED's the CLG's can run?
Or does mean well make another driver that can handle like 48 led's at one time? I haven't seen anything that big but maybe they do have one that size!

moto826

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got the maxpect and they are nice but you cant dim them but look nice and clean
they have a built in timer and a temp setting that turns on the moon lights when the other lights go out bult in moon lights

Last edited:

benjabba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you guys can help me out with my question. I am looking to add some LED's to suppliment a 175w MH on my frag tank. I am looking for performance and function 1st and and color would be nice aswell. My reflector is a Lumenbright and I am looking for a way to throw some LED's around it, or at the very least on each side. I am not looking to use Power Brights or anything like that. Any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this? I am pretty sure I could DIY something I just don't know what the best lights and parts to get would be.

Thanks

Ben

Last edited:

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben

These are CREE XR-E in either Q5 cool white or Royal Blue 450 nm will really bring out the coral colour.

CREEStrip.jpg

Bill

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta run fans. The cooler the LEDs the longer they last. I have the radioshack ones for now but as they fail I'll replace them with a 23db 12Vdc fan.

uchin

You got it right the optics let you hang your fixture as high as you want it without burning the kids eyes...Or lighting the glass for algae.

Dimmable drivers are great but if you choose single drivers you can always have them come on in banks. And a timer cost less than a controller.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%

Back