What return pump are you running?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using a return pump for a sump, curious what people use. Also note if you are running anything off the return pump itself. Thinking about a vectra L1, but that's just because I don't seem to hear a lot about others.. curious on what everyone's opinions are.

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your looking for the or reliable pump all around then the danner mag drive outlast any pumps. People use them on their tanks and keep them upwards of 5-8+ years. If you want controllability and DC pumps then I vectra either m1 or l1 depending on how much flow you want. I was lucky enough to purchase the m1 and I haven't installed it yet but I love the build quality and the customer service of ecotech marine. I also have a danner mag drive 9.5 and that thing is built to last. So for ac pumps mag drives for DC controllable then vectra.

PurduePete93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're only 6 months old, but I'm having great luck with a pair of Simplicity DC pumps. Run great and reasonable price. Really like the adjustability of the DC's.

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim all the way!! I only clean every once and a while and the thing has never acted up on me (knock on wood :p) for the year and a half I have been using it. Very reliable pump!

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're only 6 months old, but I'm having great luck with a pair of Simplicity DC pumps. Run great and reasonable price. Really like the adjustability of the DC's.
I have been looking at these pumps and hve not found anyone saying weather or not they run with a temperaure. Can you tell me if your are at 100 perct and have any temperature to them?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you have a little more room in your budget check out the Red Dragon pumps.
I'm using a RD3 80 watt pump as my return pump and a RD3 150 watt pump as my closed loop pump.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the sicce pro 1900gph pump and have been very happy with the results. Very quiet and has been driving my uv, chiller, carbon filter without a problem. I'm really partial to the ac pumps for their pressure and price point. I'm sure the DC pumps are a tad quieter, but I can't hear mine. This is my second sicce as I upgraded from a smaller model and gives me a backup when I need to swap one out for cleaning.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to offer any useful suggestions as you have provided no information on the tank, setup, etc. If you are going for a more typical sump in stand setup, then a DC pump is a good choice. If you are running a basement sump then a pressure rated AC pump is preferred.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your looking for the or reliable pump all around then the danner mag drive outlast any pumps. People use them on their tanks and keep them upwards of 5-8+ years.

Danger mag drives are certainly long tenured pumps in this hobby, but they are an older design that tends to be noisy and less efficient. A solid option though. Unless one needs something that can be put into the sump, I much prefer the Iwaki or PanWorld mag drive pumps. I ran one of the former for 20 years LOL.

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danners are good pumps, the only challege is they run warm and in florida with the air on 75 my system was 85 needing a chiller .
But they last longer than another pump, run it in a bucket of vinegar and water every couple years and they get there life back.
The only reason im looking at the dc pump is for heat exchange. I dont want to run a chiller in the room the tank is moved into.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a M1 on my tank. It feeds a manifold for reactors, but currently the manifold is closed off. I've never had a problem with it yet, it's been running the return since May of 17.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimz Quiet Pro, dead silent, simple controls. That said, I'd never go without a spare return pump, I keep a Varios in case the QP dies.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your looking for the or reliable pump all around then the danner mag drive outlast any pumps. People use them on their tanks and keep them upwards of 5-8+ years. If you want controllability and DC pumps then I vectra either m1 or l1 depending on how much flow you want. I was lucky enough to purchase the m1 and I haven't installed it yet but I love the build quality and the customer service of ecotech marine. I also have a danner mag drive 9.5 and that thing is built to last. So for ac pumps mag drives for DC controllable then vectra.

I'm running 2x mag12 on my 200g. Pretty quiet, and they just fit in my return chamber. I go with two pumps over one for redundancy just in case one dies.

Also running another mag12 on my 29g nano. I have multiple returns off of the one pump, and it goes well with my 5g canister filter I made.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back