What should I do with aquarium now? Any tips for someone new who wants corals?

Riley Pasha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is about a month old and my clownfish seem to be doing great (they have great color and are very active) also my cleaner shrimp has molted once and he seems to be doing great (moves around the tank a decent amount but loves the middle rock the most). The only thing I think I should do is add more rock as I only have around 15 pounds of rock in my 29 gallon. My tank at the moment is only fish but I really really want to get into corals only I fear they will be very hard to manage.

My current tank specs and water levels:

- 8.0 - 8.2 pH
- Ammonia: 0 ppm
- Nitrite: 0 ppm
- Nitrate: 10-20ppm
- 80 degrees Fahrenheit
- Regular sand and live rock

I'm wondering if I should get some more fish or jump into corals and get the needed lights etc. Is there anything you guys would suggest as a new person going into corals? And do you think I am ready or should I just add some more fish? Also which fish if so?

Thanks, all replies are extremely appreciated.

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lights do you have now? Generally speaking, mushrooms and some zoanthids/softies aren't too light demanding. I would hold off on getting more fish until your tank stabilizes even further. What kind of rock did you add initially? If you can get your hands on good clean live rock, 5 - 10 lbs I would. Do you have a sump?

OP
OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lights do you have now? Generally speaking, mushrooms and some zoanthids/softies aren't too light demanding. I would hold off on getting more fish until your tank stabilizes even further. What kind of rock did you add initially? If you can get your hands on good clean live rock, 5 - 10 lbs I would. Do you have a sump?

I have like 7 LED's (I think). I added live rock initially. K thanks. I will go back to the same place and get the same rock prob 10 lbs more. I do not have a sump rn (wish I did would look way better!). I have a thermometer with suction cups, hang on heater, hang on filter, and a 600GPH powerhead.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back