What skimmer should I choose for a 200g DD

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am laboring over which skimmer to get for my 200g. It will start out at a moderate bio load, but eventually I would like to have tons of fish. I really like the super reef octopus line up, specifically the xp3000 internal. I would like to know your thoughts. Am I buying into the hype with this skimmer, or is it a work horse. Suggest your favorite/best skimmer.
Thanks!
P.S.- here is the tank that I am setting up. She's a beaut!

Attachments

• 200DD tank.jpg
    200DD tank.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 242

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MAN!!!! I love the size of those DD.
I don't know much about skimmers, but I'm with Troy on this one!

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't think the atb 1050 would be over kill? Reefspecialty.com says it rated up to 480g.

Those ratings are usually light bioload when they say "up to" so you can count on around 250 with a heavy bioload. I have the swc extreme 250 and it is rated at 640 for light and 315 for heavy. I am setting up a 220 with a 80 gallon sump so I am right where I want to be with a heavy bioload. I have it running on a 150 gallon temp system right now and it works like a champ.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at the Royal Exclusiv Alpha Cone 250 as well. It's made my BK and it's a very easy skimmer to dial in and to maintain. That and a Bubble King would be my recommendations. Of course, cost may be a factor.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling the OP has decided already considering the original post is more than 7 months old.

DallasJohn210

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble King....don't waste time on the others. The one item you need for double bioload is skimmer. BK is King.

OP
OP
florida reef

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so here is the run down. I bought this tank a few months before my wife and I bought our first house. When we moved in I began building the stand and planning where in the house to set up the tank. My wife started saying the tank's deep dimension makes it unsuitable for our house....fast forward 7 months and I now have a 90g and the 200g is in the garage, empty. So long story short this build never happened, though even as I type this I am slowly wearing the wife down and convincing her to allow me to set up the DD :) Thanks for the suggestions though. The more research I did the more I narrowed the choice of a skimmer down to three, the ATB, Bubble King, or the Vertex Alpha. If and when the build happens I'll let you guys know what I chose.

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Go with option #4 Reef Dynamics (formerly known as EuroReef). Made in the USA....high quality skimmers! They make all sizes.

Here's mine:

P6260480.jpg

P3101491-1.jpg

This one is for much larger tanks :wink:

RC4000-001.jpg

Ok, so here is the run down. I bought this tank a few months before my wife and I bought our first house. When we moved in I began building the stand and planning where in the house to set up the tank. My wife started saying the tank's deep dimension makes it unsuitable for our house....fast forward 7 months and I now have a 90g and the 200g is in the garage, empty. So long story short this build never happened, though even as I type this I am slowly wearing the wife down and convincing her to allow me to set up the DD :) Thanks for the suggestions though. The more research I did the more I narrowed the choice of a skimmer down to three, the ATB, Bubble King, or the Vertex Alpha. If and when the build happens I'll let you guys know what I chose.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back