what supplements do i need for a reef aquarium

JUSTINSREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i would need calcium but have no idea what else would be good for my system it will be a fish reef tank..

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common supplements are Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium.. but truth be told every tank is different. In my situation I am actually dandy on my params with water changes. My tank isn't too demanding though. As everyone here will tell you... test you water so you don't over do it, or under do it! ;)

fish&corals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common supplements are Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium.. but truth be told every tank is different. In my situation I am actually dandy on my params with water changes. My tank isn't too demanding though. As everyone here will tell you... test you water so you don't over do it, or under do it! ;)

+1 every system is different .. i dose 1 part 2 part and 15 ML of mag 2 times a week and every week i add kalk+2 . plus do my water change every saturday of 10 gallons to replace all trace elements .. you have to test and find out what your system is using and how fast your corals use the supplements

OP
OP
JUSTINSREEF

JUSTINSREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested the water

common supplements are calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium.. But truth be told every tank is different. In my situation i am actually dandy on my params with water changes. My tank isn't too demanding though. As everyone here will tell you... Test you water so you don't over do it, or under do it! ;)

i tested my water with everything and the only thing that is wrong is the calcium is like 560ppm so could that be a problem with it being that high..

1tyme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more details

Justin we need more details on your set up. Size of tank. Equipment that u r running. Do u have a roi system. R u doing fish only / lps /sps/ soft coral. Etc. Welcome to the forum. I know u r in the wright place to get the answers u r looking for. Happy reefing. God Bless.:wink::angel:

KrautBurner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K.I.S.S. FTW

just leave things alone and dont dose

this is good for most people

you'll just need to check your param's and go from there.
+1

this is about right,
if you have a normal home tank, you wil get most (if not all) of what you need from the trace elements in the salt when you do your water changes.

as for my tank,
I don't do many water changes,
I only dose a little phosphate remover once and a while
my corals seem to be pretty happy (and growing)

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with everyone else. Test your water every so often and only dose what you need. I've always found the more stuff I add the more problems I have. Your system and what you keep will determine what elements that are used up faster. SPS tanks use more Ca, Alk, and Magnesium. If you keep mainly LPS and soft corals, many times you can get by with water changes using a good quality salt mix. I have a pretty good selection of LPS and a few SPS and big clams. I only use a kalk solution added with my top off water and Microbacter 7 to help my biological filtration because I feed the heck out of my fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back