what to use to fill gaps in trim work?

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well as most of you all know, im almost done with my build. the question i have is, i have some small gaps(playing card size) that when i paint it i dont it all to be filled in. will the primer will these gaps or should i get some type of caulk to fill and sand before primer. the devil is in the details and i want this to be done right, instead of looking at regrets in my build. thanks for your help.
greg

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood putty will fill the gaps, but are you planning on painting or staining?

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im painting piano black with a high gloss, i got wood filler but was thinking of using like silicone and just smear a thin amount into the groove. then when it dries i can put couple of coats of primer then the black paint then polyurthane it good.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone would work as long as it's not a huge amount. Just remember silicone will expand and contract with temp changes, so if you have any other spots to fill that would require more, I'd go for putty instead of the silicone.

Tajjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend putty, silicone stays soft and may end up releasing the bond between itself and the paint. But I'm sure since it's such a small amount it shouldn't be a big deal.

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wonder if the primer would fill the thin gaps, i might just go ahead and putty it and take no risk. that be terrible if i went another route and then regret it later. its not worth it to me for the small cost to not to just to use putty.

rvlockhart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use wood putty and sand it smooth. The silicone is going to flash with the high gloss paint if you don't get it perfectly smooth. If you do use caulk use acrylic so you can smooth it out with a wet rag.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use a kalk like dap that is paintable and like was said above that is water soluble so that you can smooth it out. With gaps that small you shouldn't have any problems with separation from expansion. The kalk will be much easier and faster than using wood putty and since the putty is ridged it would be more likely to separate during expansion and contraction of the wood.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back