What type of fish should I get?

Eramazetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question I really want to get or need to get amother fish for my tank but I'm not entirely sure what kind like the fish I have now is a damsel but he is extremly shy I have a 29 gallon long

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a lot of stuff you have to look for when buying a fish, for example functionality.. This means to you want the fish to have a certain role in your tank like eating algae or do you just want something pretty.. After that you look at the types of fish that can get along with your damsel... Then bioload which haas to do with the size of your fish and if your system can handle more bioload... This stuff is some of the criteria i go through before choosing a new fish.. now i personally love clown fish, and bennies particularly a starry bennie or a sailfin blenny.. all of which can live in your tank

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what kind of damsel? Some are more peaceful and easy to add fish, some are more aggressive and more difficult to add fish.

Watchman goby w/pistol shrimp, clown gobies, neon goby, flame hawkfish, or the one of the blennies mentioned in the above post.

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Post a history, parameters and pictures. Everyone loves pictures! Really you have to look at what filtration and water parameters before you get another fish. There is a marine fish compatibility chart on liveaquaria.com that may help with the choice.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a general rule I avoid damsels like the plague. There are a few odd species that aren't too bad but by and large they're a nasty fish that's hard to remove later and can kill and bully more expensive additions later

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Post a history, parameters and pictures. Everyone loves pictures! Really you have to look at what filtration and water parameters before you get another fish. There is a marine fish compatibility chart on liveaquaria.com that may help with the choice.
The problem with those compatibility charts in this case, is that there is such a wide range of temperament among damsels. If the op has a relatively peaceful species such as the springeri, there will be a lot mora possibilities than if it is a dominoe damsel, but the chart will just say damsel.

All tanks have different filtration capacity for sure, but a bc 29's filtration should be able to handle more than a single damsel.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get rid of the Damsel and get some Gobies and Firefish. JMO

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a trio of azure damsels in my 65 gallon who only occasionally harass newcomers. (There was _one_ wrasse they took an instant dislike to...) I've also got a brace of Talbot's damsels and a trio of blackbar chromis in my QT, who have offered no annoyance to anyone.

Damsels, chosen with a bit of research, add a bit of bright confetti to the tank - and they're _really_ going to look like confetti in the 220!

Eramazetti, you've gotten some great advice above - many gobies, smaller blennies, assessors, even grammas could be a good fit - find fish you like to look at, and then devour every jot of information you can find about them!

~Bruce

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say extremely shy, i think the damsel already establish its territory....so, what type of damsel you got now is very important in selecting the next fish.
If you have the semi aggressive ones like the springeri, yellowtail or azure, i suggest tailspot blenny, yellow clown goby and many kinds of gobies

If you have the mean ones like domino, striped damsels...hmmm

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back