What's for supper? Traditional Newfie food.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltmeat is basically brined beef. You'll only find it here in Newfoundland, albeit its exported across Canada in places that are heavy with Newfies. This year I'm going to bring some back to the states with me and hopefully they'll allow me to bring it in where it'll be vacuum packed. I hope.

24.jpg

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps closer to being "chicken of the sea".
Hold it! How big are those Codfish? I've caught Cod over 50 lbs., but never ate the tongues, I always took out the shells behind the eyes.
" chicken of the sea " here on Long Island, has always been the Atlantic Blowfish, once cleaned and cooked it looks like a chicken leg and tastes just like chicken.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those tongues were cut into pieces so they are nice and crunchy. 50lbs is a big ole cod!!!!! Yummo! I think it may be muscle that's found down their throats verses sitting in the mouth. I'll have to ask the folks.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltmeat is basically brined beef. You'll only find it here in Newfoundland, albeit its exported across Canada in places that are heavy with Newfies. This year I'm going to bring some back to the states with me and hopefully they'll allow me to bring it in where it'll be vacuum packed. I hope.

24.jpg
I see it in the stores here all the time. Lots of Newfs here in Ottawa.

Do you make a boiled dinner with it? Cabbage, carrots, spuds, etc?

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes!!! We call it a Jiggs Dinner and I ate it every Sunday growing up. I even suck the fat off it and that's really not like me. I eat pretty healthy normally.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HATE liver too. Luckily my Dad also hated it, so when my Mom cooked it he would tell me to eat just one bite and then I could leave the table. I was a vegetarian for 10 years and I'm not brave in the world of meat, but something odd happens when I come home. What I eat here is nasty and indeed cringe worthy... I fully agree.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes!!! We call it a Jiggs Dinner and I ate it every Sunday growing up. I even suck the fat off it and that's really not like me. I eat pretty healthy normally.

Mmmmmmm. I make the same dish with a corned beef or cottage roll. Next time, it will be a Jiggs Dinner!

Back