whats the best skimmer on the market for 120 gal of water

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd look into the Reef Dynamics 135 from Aquarium Source. I have been running the 80 for a few days after it came very highly recommended from a lot of reefers.

Of course there are other options out there and your budget will dictate what is available for use

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has Reef Octopus 2000 rated for 250 gal. I have one on my 180. Very easy to clean, fits in sump, which is your biggest concern, whatever you choose, be sure it fits, with room to remove and clean the cup.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a loaded question, There's a ton of options out there but it comes down to personal preference, There is not a skimmer out there that is the best

OP
OP
new2this

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a loaded question, There's a ton of options out there but it comes down to personal preference, There is not a skimmer out there that is the
BRS has Reef Octopus 2000 rated for 250 gal. I have one on my 180. Very easy to clean, fits in sump, which is your biggest concern, whatever you choose, be sure it fits, with room to remove and clean the cup.
I still need a sump too...thats why i made this post to find out what dementions are needed..i ordered the rollermat and the smaller vortech return pump,and one inch plumbing...but that is it

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you are going to get lots of different opinions on skimmers. Personally, I am considering going with an RLSS DB8i, or a Nyos Quantum 160 on my new 125 gallon build. I have another RLSS model currently and really love the skimmer. It is pretty much set it and forget it. Also has a small footprint.

If you are looking for a sump designed around the Theiling Rollermat, check out Elite-Aquatics. They just come out with a sump designed around the rollermat. Requires no plumbing. Just sits in the sump.

Here is their thread here on R2R:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/elite-aquatics-rollermatt-sump.282559/

Rollermatt sump 1.jpg

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is one best option haha. I think so many have had great experiences with a lot of them. But the bubble kings I've heard are great but don't come cheap.

OP
OP
new2this

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you are going to get lots of different opinions on skimmers. Personally, I am considering going with an RLSS DB8i, or a Nyos Quantum 160 on my new 125 gallon build. I have another RLSS model currently and really love the skimmer. It is pretty much set it and forget it. Also has a small footprint.

If you are looking for a sump designed around the Theiling Rollermat, check out Elite-Aquatics. They just come out with a sump designed around the rollermat. Requires no plumbing. Just sits in the sump.

Rollermatt sump 1.jpg
yeah i talked to him...this sump is awesome and i have lost sleep over this...the only thing is that it doesnt have a fuge...any ideas on that

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i talked to him...this sump is awesome and i have lost sleep over this...the only thing is that it doesnt have a fuge...any ideas on that
I believe they can build it any way you want it. I suppose it depends on how much room you have and how long of a sump you can fit under the tank. I got my EA sump a few months ago and the quality is excellent. Very happy with it. Mine is a 40" with the same color scheme as the one shown. I don't have a refugium in mine. I will be running an algae turf scrubber and possibly a remote fuge for pods.

OP
OP
new2this

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they can build it any way you want it. I suppose it depends on how much room you have and how long of a sump you can fit under the tank. I got my EA sump a few months ago and the quality is excellent. Very happy with it. Mine is a 40" with the same color scheme as the one shown. I don't have a refugium in mine. I will be running an algae turf scrubber and possibly a remote fuge for pods.
he said he hasnt sold many of these..and didnt know if he was going to make it (fuge)..what is a remote fuge?

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble King is generally considered the best.As with most things the best come at a big price. Had mine for years and after going through several brands, many of which have been mentioned here, I have had zero issues.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he said he hasnt sold many of these..and didnt know if he was going to make it (fuge)..what is a remote fuge?
He just now came out with the design, so no, he hasn't sold many. A remote refugium is just a separate tank (mine will likely be a 20 long), either on the side or in my case, behind the aquarium, plumbed into the sump. I ran one of these on my 75 years ago and it worked out well for me.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I run a Royal Exclusiv Bubble King deluxe 250 and love this skimmer, But I have also used ASM and Aquamaxx along with a few others and they also work great. Just ready the reviews on the different skimmers out there and make your choice.

Andrew Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can fit them under the hood, I would highly recommend getting two smaller skimmers rather than one large one. For example, you could run a Bubble Magus Curve 5 along with a Reef Octopus SSS110. Mike P's most recent article discussing redundancy in marine reef tanks gives major props to the concept for several reasons - run one wet and one dry, you can alternate cleanings, built in back up, etc. Anthony C also addresses running two skimmers in his book on coral propagation. Of course I am very biased on the topic.

However, if space is limited I would be itching to try the Avast Peg Leg...

OP
OP
new2this

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i appreciate everyones help..i ended up ordering reef octopus regal 150INT 6"....thanks again

Andrew Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't go wrong with an RO skimmer, not to mention Coralvue out of Slidell, LA has great customer service. Be sure to register your purchase on Coralvue's website just in the off chance you need their assistance

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend the Reef Octopus 150INT or the 200INT or any in the lineup that includes the Varios pump. I recommend going bigger as it will last for ever as long as it fits your present sump. The main reason for my recommendation is the Varios pump. I connect it to my Apex and when my skimmer turns off for any reason, and I restart the Varios pump at 40% and it ramps to 100% over 30 minutes. Since I've been doing this I have not had any issues with overflowing skimmer cups from a runaway skimmer. Once it is dialed in and you use the controller you can turn it on and off daily without worry. Even if you don't have an Apex this is an investment so if it is in your budget, that is my recommendation.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back