Whats the coolest marine fish?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a naso, Desjardins sailfin and a yellow belly hippo tang. And the hippo is the biggest jerk of them all.... not what I had expected...
I've never had a hippo with any sass at all. I've heard of it though! Every fish is different! :D

oodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandran fish
image.jpeg

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue throat trigger..
Large personality and reef safe.
Very large personality, very curious fish, very easy to get to eat, eats pretty much anything, very healthy and very docile.
Absolutely the best fish I have ever added to my reef.

upload_2016-7-11_11-33-15.png

Is this reef safe for real? Gorgeous fish!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this reef safe for real? Gorgeous fish!

Yes the blue chin/throat and Red Tail/Sargassum Triggerfish are very reef safe. Crosshatch is pretty reef safe to, it just gets larger so it can eat larger prey..
They do not touch corals.
They may eat very small fish or invertebrates.
I have two cleaner shrimp and they do not touch them.
Only issues is I threw in some really small chromis and he would try and eat them if they got close to him. It keeps them schooling.
I have anthias and he does not look at them.
He is very docile he does not fight with anyone or no one fights with him and he is pretty large so he keeps most fish inline. He hates when other fish fight too.. He is very curious to what I am doing all the time. He watches me clean the tank while the others hide. Triggers are more like a pet than allot of other fish.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/reeffriendly-triggerfish-full-article.htm
http://www.qualitymarine.com/News/Species-Spotlight/Reef-Safe-Triggerfishes-(07/10/09)

I know they list others but the three I listed is what I would stick with, any others can be risky.

Last edited:

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a hippo with any sass at all. I've heard of it though! Every fish is different! :D
Yeah mine is a punk! ;p between my hippo and sailfin they like to chase any new additions for awhile. I have to stick the giant spoon in the water to chase them away... lol

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple other ones I really like are the Desjardins Sailfin. And a Copperband Butterfly. They have such cool markings.

DSC_0679.JPG

IMG_1028.JPG

ttabbal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE my copperband, it's been a great fish. I like the look of the boxfish as well, but even my in progress 90gal is a bit small for them. I saw one at the LFS a few months back, thankfully they mentioned how big they get and recommended against me taking it home. It's easy to be fooled by the small size of the juvenile fish in this hobby.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragon Faced Pipefish. Had 2 in my 90G that were awesome.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exotic by any means...but I love watching my diamond back goby take huge bites of gravel and filter/clean the bottom....all day long. Also facinated with my watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair. Mini bulldozer always busy and faithful companion keeping an eye out....I've lost hours sitting watching them

Back