What's the TDS of your tap water?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested in hearing results from all over the world, as I know we are a diverse bunch here. ;) Also if you can't get the output of your RODI down to 0 for some reason, mention that as well.

Me: Monroe, (North) Louisiana, USA
Tap: 86
RODI output: 0

M3ace9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap at 86 is amazing. Cities with dirtier water are in the 500s and burn through lots of DI to get 0 consistency. My tds is 240 in and coming out of my dual membranes I am getting 3 with a 2.5 to 1 ratio. Not too bad but could be better like yours haha

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Silver Spring MD and the TDS out of my tap fluctuate between 8-11 ppm. The water out is usually 0 but now it is reading 1ppm. I guess it is time to change the membrane. I am also lucky because the water pressure out of my tap is 100 psi, no booster pump needed. I usually make my RODI water at about 80 psi

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Silver Spring MD and the TDS out of my tap fluctuate between 8-11 ppm. The water out is usually 0 but now it is reading 1ppm. I guess it is time to change the membrane. I am also lucky because the water pressure out of my tap is 100 psi, no booster pump needed. I usually make my RODI water at about 80 psi
Hmm, I'll have to see what mine is because I'm in Frederick and I wonder of different it is.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, everyone can get the TDS of tap water down to 0 ppm (measured in line) if they have an appropriate DI resin.

I'd also caution that while interesting to note, tap water TDS is not a measure of whether the water is suitable for a reef. It is just a measure of saltiness of the water. For example, tap water with 5 ppm TDS run through copper pipes might have way to much copper in it, while 300 ppm TDS tap water without such copper (and other undesirables) might be fine. :)

That said, my tap water has a TDS of about 95 ppm.

M3ace9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the TDS down as much as possible before it hits the di stage is key. I go from 240 to 3 going into my DI stage by using 2 spectrapure 99% rejection membranes, 1 0.5 sediment filter, and 2 cloromine filters. From there the 3 TDS water goes into a silicabuster and final di stage.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, everyone can get the TDS of tap water down to 0 ppm (measured in line) if they have an appropriate DI resin.

I'd also caution that while interesting to note, tap water TDS is not a measure of whether the water is suitable for a reef. It is just a measure of saltiness of the water. For example, tap water with 5 ppm TDS run through copper pipes might have way to much copper in it, while 300 ppm TDS tap water without such copper (and other undesirables) might be fine. :)

That said, my tap water has a TDS of about 95 ppm.
But is there anyway to really tell what all is in your tap water?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But is there anyway to really tell what all is in your tap water?

Not without extensive testing.

That is why I do not recommend tap water, regardless of the TDS. :)

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just measured mine, I am in Frederick MD and my TDS is ~145

Last edited:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180 to 3 to zero in SW Florida.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back