What's the TDS of your tap water?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NYC water is often low TDS but the suspended solids or TSS is very high. So high the EPA started charging daily fines until NY built surface water treatment plants to meet EPA guidelines. I doubt Austin55's DI would last very long either even though his TDS is low, if his source water has high suspended solids or TSS the resin will plug with solids and colloidal materials and be worthless.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NYC water is often low TDS but the suspended solids or TSS is very high. So high the EPA started charging daily fines until NY built surface water treatment plants to meet EPA guidelines. I doubt Austin55's DI would last very long either even though his TDS is low, if his source water has high suspended solids or TSS the resin will plug with solids and colloidal materials and be worthless.

That's a good point, a filter would be useful, but just for folks to keep perspective, NYC water is low in TDS at 41-63 ppm TDS. The 0-3 ppm values mentioned by a couple of reefers are not likely, IMO, real values for tap water. :)

NYC water report:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/wsstate14.pdf

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Zephyrhills Florida mine was 216ppm on county water, 5 tds lafter RO then burn through a canister of resin after ~75g of 0tds. Now in Krum, Texas and its 234ppm city water from the tap but I get 3 tds after RO and resin has produced ~200g 0 tds and still has about 10% life in it! Can only assume it's different mineral compositions in the water.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sayreville, New Jersey
City water supply of 240-250 TDS
RO/DI 0

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Farmingdale, NY. Right in the middle of Long Island.

TDS is typically about 27-33 during clear days. However, I've seen it go up to 120-180 on days its raining..

Explanation is I believe they are pre-treating the water here before it even gets to the houses/hospitals/businesses because the drainage system allows rain runoff into them. The sewage plants can only treat "x" amount of water in a given time. With that said I don't drink from the tap here.. nor do I go swimming at the beach because they drain the sewage pipes into the bay.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But is there anyway to really tell what all is in your tap water?

Check your cities web site. They should have the water tested I believe annually. I get a report in the mail each year showing everything they test for in the water and the values at the time of testing. I know it doesn't tell me what is currently in the water but it gives you an idea.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back