What's the TDS of your tap water?

filek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bronx, NY My tap TDS is 30 and my rodi is 3-4, it is time for a filter change, been 1 year since i changed them :)

DurocShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap, I replied to this already. Grrr...

Anyway it's over 520 every time I test. I burn through a LOT of DI resin, but I haven't tested to see what's coming out of my membrane yet. I think a better quality membrane will help with resin consumption.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
630 tap TDS here in Phoenix. Now you know where all the minerals from the Grand Canyon ended up!

This is how one would remove excess H2O molecules from one's water collection...and get tasty high-tds water:
300px-arizona_cap_canal.jpg
1794473.jpg

Dig an open channel across the desert and bring water from hundreds and hundreds of miles away...evaporating all along the way...in the desert. LOL. Just so people can live with green lawns and such IN THE DESERT. :D We're collectively about as smart as a bag of hair, yet we think we're clever for doing this.

Tuscon is "recharging" its aquifer with this water. I'm guessing Phoenix is in a similar situation as it's also populated with grass-lovers and is in the desert. ;)

Interesting to note that people lived for thousands of years in this area (yes, 1000's) without benefit of water projects....or even agriculture. What's our deal? o_O

Oh....last I checked my TDS was 246 from the tap. :cool:

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS doesn't ruin filters, it is TSS or suspended solids that are tough on sediment and carbon block filters. TDS is Total Dissolved Solids so being dissolved they pass through the first two filters and are removed by the RO membrane and polished off by the DI resin. I would take my 600+ Phoenix TDS and almost 0 TSS over New Yorks 50 TDS and high TSS any day. Suspended solids plug and foul the filters so they require more frequent replacement and high quality replacements in the proper micron ranges is critical.

Reef_Specialty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks AZdesertRat! Good to know. We learn something new everyday. Thanks for the great info

match69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somerset, UK. The TDS out of the tap is around 240 and out of the RO it is down to about 8 then out of the DI resin it is 0. I always flush my unit before and after collection for 2 minutes to help lengthen the life of the membrane. I have read that I should bypass the DI resin for the first flush as the TDS will be very high and it will shorten the life of the resin, although I haven't got round to fitting the bypass yet.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Silver Spring MD and the TDS out of my tap fluctuate between 8-11 ppm. The water out is usually 0 but now it is reading 1ppm. I guess it is time to change the membrane. I am also lucky because the water pressure out of my tap is 100 psi, no booster pump needed. I usually make my RODI water at about 80 psi

I'm glad I ran across this. I was thinking that something was wrong with my TDS meter. I was only getting 8 PPM out of Columbia MD.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back