What's your max fish price?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect I am not the only person on here with an arbitrary cutoff price.

While I am sure many of us, myself included, can afford more expensive fish than this price, we just don't buy them.

For me, $300 (give or take $20) is my wheelhouse. I have many fish in that range. It's just where I cut it off.

I have a few fish worth $400-500 depending on who's "appraising" but I've never paid more than $320 after tax for any fish I believe. Perhaps not over $300, honestly.

What about you guys?

And again this isn't about who is richest, some of us just refuse to pay X amount of dollars for a fish. For some it's $20, for others it's $10k+.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most I have paid for a fish was $200 (Chevron Tang). The most I would pay for a fish depends a little on what it is. For example, a Tygerpyge Angel or Zebra Tang would be hard to resist at $500.

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most I have paid for a fish was $200 (Chevron Tang). The most I would pay for a fish depends a little on what it is. For example, a Tygerpyge Angel or Zebra Tang would be hard to resist at $500.
It looks like a convict tang, they just must put a higher price on it because come from Mauritius like the gem tang. Maybe I am wrong.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish <$125
Coral <$100
Nem <$200

I may stretch beyond $125 to get my hands on a Purple Tang eventually, but that would be it.

bfam4t6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have a nano, so I'm pretty limited as it is.

But, nano fish can be expensive too...I stop at about $50.

Most I've ever paid was $60 for a Mystery Wrasse from a fellow hobbyist, but I felt it was totally justified, seeing at they go for over $100 online.

I save all my money for the coral :)

Vpham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$250 as my max currently but I wouldn't mind spread far for a gem tang if I hit a lottery...

Last edited:

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I say about 300$ max... I mean look at some chalice and coral prices these days... 300 usually for a large heathy tang is fair, also a fair price for a trio of the higher end wrasses... I cringe a little later when I think about it.... But definitely try not to ...

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My max at the moment has been $200 (genicanthus bellus) and most my fish are around the $100-150 mark. That being said though, I don't think I would have a max if the right angelfish or pair was available or if Swissguard Basslets were available here in Australia. I would say for the moment my max would mostly likely be $500ish.

kenzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the fish I bought was under $50. The most expensive thing in my tank was a maxima clam which I bought for $70 something and it didn't last long and the feeling after losing the clam and the money wasn't that great!

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$75 for now, but I want a Scribbled Angel eventually, so that will triple the limit at that point. So far, I've been lucky though...my 240g FOWLR has a Purple Tang (that I got in a trade for a Yellow Tang), so essentially cost me $20)...a 7" Magnificent Foxface (that was mislabeled at the LFS as a Spinefoot for $49) and a Blonde Naso Tang ($50, which seemed a little underpriced) and I just got an Aussie Harlequin Tusk for $75 that was marked $125. I mentioned to the LFS owner that it was a nice fish, but I just couldn't pay that much. He asked what my limit was and I said $75, so he said he would take that. My ultimate score was a free Borbonious Anthias that a guy on CL had to get rid of because he bought a pair that fought. It's tail was chewed to a nub and I've been nursing it back over the last year. It is in my 60g for now, but once it can swim better, it goes into the 240g.

Back