What's your TDS?

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a valve to burn off the higher tds water when I first turn it on. That way your di resin will last longer. My tds gets up to around 100 right out of the ro for the first couple minutes, then drops to about 5 or 6.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you measuring tds (or when)? If you measure the water right after you turn it on, the tds is going to shoot up pretty high because of tds creep. When water sits in the ro cartridge it diffuse back across the membrane. Let it run for a few minutes and then see where it's at.

It has one of those built in meters. I kept checking it off and on since it's new and I'm really curious... but this was the first day it's been used. Probably made 15 gallons of good water when i posted those higher readings.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incoming is 900-500 well water, after ro its 12-22ppm. I dont use deion. All is good.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... how old is the membrane?

The whole thing just got used for the first time yesterday. I don't know the exact time but it probably has 2-3 hours run time before I stopped it for the night.

I currently have three theories..
  1. Membrane isn't sitting right
    • I tried to see if the unit is sitting right. Seemed fine... also I'm new at this.
  2. Gage is off
    • I'm less worried about this but it's still on my list. Maybe a pin got bent when I installed it? I can always check vs distilled. That or just undo the line and use it to fill a red cup and test in there with a different gage. It's suppose to be accurate +/- 2%
  3. Water ratio is messing things up.
    • And the ratio.. I'm going to test it this morning. Apparently the unit is sold at 2:1. Other people have more waste water to produce clean. I'm not sure how to even adjust that or how much it effects things.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something's isn't working right. Even if your meter is off, it doesn't make sense. You are only getting 88% rejection in your best case scenario of 88ppm out of the membrane. I'd call the people you bought it from.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. the DI is done. I probably made 30-35 gallons of good water. Not sure. :/

DML08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I wish my tap water was as low as some of you guys, I'll check in the morning but last time I check it was 900+ , I go through so much DI...

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in San Diego and incoming TDS is 495ppm and after DI it is 2ppm. Two weeks ago when I looked at it the meter said 1ppm. I use a RO/DI system from MelevsReef with dual membranes. I haven't measured it before the DI chamber. I may have to get another meter from Marc so I can do that as well. Time to replace the resin too.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Frop

Inline tds meters are not very accurate. pick up a hm digital com-100 handheld.

What unit do you have? waste ratio is typically better at 3:1 - 4:1 unless you have a specific 2:1 ratio. is there a reason why your ro tds reading fluctuates so much?

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Frop

Inline tds meters are not very accurate. pick up a hm digital com-100 handheld.

What unit do you have? waste ratio is typically better at 3:1 - 4:1 unless you have a specific 2:1 ratio. is there a reason why your ro tds reading fluctuates so much?

I have no idea. I know when I turn the pump on it can raise the TDS by around 15.
My meter at least read 0 when I did check by distilled. And the DI resin is already showing TDS on two meters. Which would be expected if I made 30gallons @ 150 TDS.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy a high quality handheld then test again. let the unit run for about three minutes to flush the membrane, then test your product water. the tds will be higher when you first turn it on.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy a high quality handheld then test again. let the unit run for about three minutes to flush the membrane, then test your product water. the tds will be higher when you first turn it on.

My hand held and second inline TDS shows the DI was producing 0 TDS. Then it started getting higher. The formula I found online shows if I was running 150TDS this would make sense after 30 gallons. The numbers match up. Something is wrong with the membrane.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I didn't see you mention that you already had a handheld. if I were you, I'd start all over with new filters and membrane. spectrapure only.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I didn't see you mention that you already had a handheld. if I were you, I'd start all over with new filters and membrane. spectrapure only.

I haven't looked at them but why spectrapure over BRS? (Serious question :))

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrapure mixes their own di resin and it's much more efficient. they released two new ones recently to replace their old maxcap di and silica buster. their membranes are also bigger quality, more efficient and last longer. the sediment and carbon come in smaller micron, I believe. this will extend the life of the membrane.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new di are called mega maxcap and enduro di.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RO/DI is new. Here is what I'm getting.
  1. 800 Tap
  2. 670 Water Softener
  3. 80-110 RO @ 65 psi
  4. 0 DI
Some of your guys' tap water is better than my RO.
wow that's insane. My dads well water right out of the tap is around 250. I wouldn't feed that to my dog!

As for me, 102-106 out of my tap. 0 after my RO membrane. When it gets above 6 I change the membrane. No DI needed.

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back