Where to buy a Red Mandarin Dragonet?

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I've heard that it isn't recommended to quarantine a Mandarin, I was wondering what reputable source i could obtain one from. Is Liveaquaria actually a good source? I've never actually bought a fish from them so i have no idea myself, so I was wondering what other people thought.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recommend the tank transfer method, there are lots of threads on here. I would attach one, but I am not sure how! Lol the mandarins have a healthy slim coat so it is my understanding that they act like a "carrier" for parasites. Tank transfer is a safe way to prevent introducing dz to your display tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Tank transfer would be the best way of getting a mandarin through qt and protecting the rest of your tank inhabitants.

LiveAquaria is a solid vendor, but they don't qt their fish. And no vendors I am aware of have a flawless qt/disease prevention protocol.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred ones are available (ORA)....I would go that route
If I'm not mistaken, ORA stopped selling captive bred mandarins a few years ago, though they are still on their site. Another company, Biota, has captive bred mandarins. Algae Barn sells them.

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to get a mandarin, please get one from biota. You can buy them at Algaebarn.com. They are captive bred and they come in eating frozen foods. They are pretty small but they have a much higher change of surviving because they are captive bred.

Back