Where to find rotifers and phytoplankton?

cliff92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish have been laying eggs about twice a month and wanted to try raising some clownfish. I plan on culturing my own phytoplankton and rotifers but am having trouble finding a good named seller of rotifers and phytoplankton along with the fertilizer. Some people use miracle grow but I know there must be a better solution. Any help would be much appreciated.

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My clownfish have been laying eggs about twice a month and wanted to try raising some clownfish. I plan on culturing my own phytoplankton and rotifers but am having trouble finding a good named seller of rotifers and phytoplankton along with the fertilizer. Some people use miracle grow but I know there must be a better solution. Any help would be much appreciated.
Prettyman exotics in utah. Tell them Johnny sent you.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralreefing.com. Just got phyto and rots from them. The bottle of rots was swarming with them.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reed mariculture and use rotifers diet.
Absolutely this. You will get the cleanest rotifer starter culture and the highest yield, while healthiest enrichment, foods.

And you can get clean, live phyto starter cultures from seahorsesource.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use this to tint the fry water as well?

No, there are rotifer enrichments/grow out foods and there are different greenwater blends for use with fry. Make sure you get one that is able to be frozen as some blends are not and will not last you as long. Also, since they are so concentrated, you'll only need small amounts at a time and one bag will last you quite a while.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used rotigrow+ in a the past for rotifer feed as well as green water, currently I'm using RG complete since I was able to find it locally but it's not as concentrated so you use more, and therefore costs more. I was thinking I'll go back to the rotigrow+.

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, there are rotifer enrichments/grow out foods and there are different greenwater blends for use with fry. Make sure you get one that is able to be frozen as some blends are not and will not last you as long. Also, since they are so concentrated, you'll only need small amounts at a time and one bag will last you quite a while.
Yes, rotifer diet is also used for green water application.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used rotigrow+ in a the past for rotifer feed as well as green water, currently I'm using RG complete since I was able to find it locally but it's not as concentrated so you use more, and therefore costs more. I was thinking I'll go back to the rotigrow+.

Yes, rotifer diet is also used for green water application.

Yeah so I was researching this some more and it turns out it can be used as green water but you run the risk of having swim bladder problems in your fry when using RG+ as a green water which is why there are other blends created specifically for use with fry.

president89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reed mariculture/apbreed.com/reef nutrition are all the same company. They are the best - don't bother with other companies.
Rotigrow complete is the easiest for growing rotifers, but you will go through it the quickest.
Rotigrow one step - good for feeding rotifers - concentrated, so it lasts longer
Rotigreen Omega - a Must have for greenwater and enriching the rotifers for the best clownfish nutrition.
To save money on shipping, ask your LFS that carries their products(reef nutrition) to special order it for you with their next shipment. This will save you a lot on shipping.

Ftrain576

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will definitely do that for the next order.Shipping mannnnnn....although can not complain about some complimentary products. Wound up alternating feeding the Rotifers with RG Complete and Phyco pure, and so far everything is well.

Back