Which AI Sol LED unit to get?

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im thinking about picking up one of these LED fixtures but i cant decide between the Sol White or the Sol Super Blue. They are both adjustable for whites and blues so in theory you can match any color. I guess no matter what you get more of a blueish color out of the Super Blue.

Any one have experience with these or seen the two side by side? Thanks

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/LE...ight_System_w!_Controller_by_AquaIllumination

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/LE...ight_System_w!_Controller_by_AquaIllumination

Myteemouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen a write up somewhere on the web that the SOL blue have slightly higher par than the white:)

OP
OP
Kbra

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting i would think the whites would be higher.

Sara - Thanks for the link i take a looksy

OP
OP
Kbra

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear. Im hoping to test out a single unit for now on a frag tank to decide if i want to invest in enough for an 8 foot tank...

OP
OP
Kbra

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be a new tank. However my current reef is 2 x 250w MH with 2 x 65w compact Actinics. Thats what i will be basing my comparison off of right now. Im thinking on the 8 foot: 7-8 Sols and maybe a few 4' T5 for some other colors if necessary. Time will tell.

CONSTANTNE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say go for the sol blues. I see that a lot of people on forums who have the whites have to lower their whites a lot to get a nice color. With the blues this isnt necessary and thus you are giving corals more light. I think with LEDs more white LEDs doesnt mean more par (I can be completely wrong here lol)

Myteemouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hers that write up I found!!
NOT MINE!!!!!
this is just part of it but cut and dry numbers

I just completed upgrades of my AI SOl White (W/W/B) pucks to the SOL Blue (W/B/RB). Please excuse the current condition of the tank - It's been more of a test tank than display tank for the past year with lot's of LED and carbon dosing testing (including the 2 significant over PAR/photo-inhibition events detailed earlier in this thread...

AI_SWSB100.jpg

*Note - the 24" and 30" measurements are slightly occluded by aquascape and offset about 6" toward the front of the tank. Perhaps the most interesting find was the SOl Blues delivered slightly more PAR at depth. I can only guess this is due to better penetration of the blue spectrum.

SW100B_SB100W.jpg

SOL White = 0% white, 100% blue vs. SOL Blue = 0% Blue, 100% white.

SW100W_SB100B.jpg

SOL White = 100% white, 0% blue vs. SOL Blue = 100% Blue, 0% white.

100All_G2.jpg

All AIs at 100% compared to Maxspect G2-160 at 100%

SW100B_SW100W_G2.jpg

SOL White = 0% white, 100% blue vs. SOL Blue = 0% Blue, 100% white with G2 for comparison.

SW100W_SB100B_G2.jpg

SOL White = 100% white, 0% blue vs. SOL Blue = 100% Blue, 0% white with G2 for comparison.

2XSB100B.jpg

100% blue output of 2X SOL Blue units - It's nearly impossible to show the "pop" of these, the color is far more intense than shown in the photo. You can also tell how purple in appearance the Semi-LED Royal Blues are in the G2.

I took photos and PAR measurements at other power settings, but it's difficult to distinguish much difference in the photos. The PAR falloff at lesser power settings was mostly linear (50% power yielded about 50% of the reported PAR.) Measurements taken using an Apogee MQ-200 with the electric light settings. Due to variations in measurement accuracy (i.e. hand shake , slight rotation of sensor, rough water surface...) I'd estimate the margin of error at plus/minus ~5%

shelbyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too upgraded my sol whites for the sol blue and I love the color much more. the problem with the sol white is if you want the bluer spectrum you have to turn down the whites so much at the sacrifice of intensity since the blue is less powerful than the white led.

DSC00099.jpg
DSC09393.jpg
DSC09239.jpg
DSC09355.jpg
DSC09381.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back