Which Magnets?

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9d64639fef489fa0c1c8ab06cff834b6.jpg

This is what I'm working with. I got two magnets. Cut a rock in half. Epoxied one to the back of the Rock and let the other one stay normal.

So I'll just pull it out and epoxy it and hope it works lol.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epoxy gets brittle and can crack and chip. but it could worth a shot. do ya feel lucky?

danknuc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i understand. You could send me a pics of your fraq rack? How many inches are long?
IMG_3786.JPG

This one is 3" wide along the glass and 5.5" out into the tank. This one I am going to have in my sump that has 1/4" glass. That is a 15oz can of potatos sitting on the rack.
IMG_3793.JPG

This one is 3" by 3" and will be used in my tank with 3/8" glass. To be able to put more on it I will have to put stronger magnets on it, like two sets of the round black magnets in the first picture.

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epoxy gets brittle and can crack and chip. but it could worth a shot. do ya feel lucky?
Lucky enough for now. Since I won't be moving it much and upgrading within a year, I'm not too worried

danknuc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the bend in the egg crate,pretty cool.
It is really very easy. Just cut the size out you want from your full or partial sheet then use a propane torch on the lowest setting possible and wave it over the area you want to make the bend, just a couple seconds. Then you just bend it over with your hand and hold it in position for a little bit, maybe 20-30 seconds, while blowing on it. Then just let it cool to room temperature.

spllbnd2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neo magnets are coated not only with nickle but a combination of ni(nickle),cu(cooper),ni(nickle). Best practice that I have found is to encapsulate the magnets in acrylic. This lasts a long time and when done properly will not allow the magnet to ever get wet and is very strong.

I would not trust a coin holder glued together to last very long before you see the magnets start to rust. I remember the old Hydor Koralias had an issue with their magnets starting to rust due to the way they manufactured them. But they have since done better with those.

I will post a picture of how I encapsulate my magnets later once I get back home.

Cheers,
Alex

danknuc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on my first attempt at a shelf rock out of a chunk of BRS Pukani. Used 4 white 22.5 lbs strength plastic coated magnets on the rock, 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 square from Apex Magnets. You can see one of them at the edge of the rock. I will cover the magnet with epoxy before I am finished. Holds up nicely on the 3/8" glass with round 26lb magnets outside the tank.

IMG_3820.JPG

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neo magnets are coated not only with nickle but a combination of ni(nickle),cu(cooper),ni(nickle). Best practice that I have found is to encapsulate the magnets in acrylic. This lasts a long time and when done properly will not allow the magnet to ever get wet and is very strong.

I would not trust a coin holder glued together to last very long before you see the magnets start to rust. I remember the old Hydor Koralias had an issue with their magnets starting to rust due to the way they manufactured them. But they have since done better with those.

I will post a picture of how I encapsulate my magnets later once I get back home.

Cheers,
Alex
Alex,
Did you ever post pics and methods for encapsulated your magnets? Trying a DYI project and need to water proof my magnets.
Thx

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote an entire article on magnets but it was never posted and I never got a reply. but here's one of my pods.

IMAG0857_zpslzqcjyub.jpg

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I just realized.....you've seen my pods before. lol.

spllbnd2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try and get a picture up later this week. Working in the shop today and just saw this and realized I had never posted a picture.

Cheers,
Alex

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back