White mark on clownfish

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I noticed some white mark on my clownfishes little fin. Can anyone tell me what this is?

IMG_1522.JPG

IMG_1520.JPG

IMG_1513.JPG

IMG_1511.JPG

IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1508.JPG

IMG_1501.JPG

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1488.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant really see it without the blues on. I do see it, but it's difficult. I'm going to suggest a freshwater dip. I suspect this is flukes.

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes & "Black Ich", Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

Look for:
1459813172723-jpg.336938

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is another symptom I found. Looks like her tail has streaks in it. I don't recall seeing that previously.

IMG_1526.JPG

Did you do the freshwater dip? That's going to be very telling if done properly.

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will freshwater dip not just stress the fish out? I have an established 5 gallon aquarium with nothing but live rock in it. Would that be of more use to us?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will freshwater dip not just stress the fish out? I have an established 5 gallon aquarium with nothing but live rock in it. Would that be of more use to us?

All you need is a dark container and an air pump with tubing. Set a timer for 5 minutes and try not to freak out. It's WAY less stressful on the fish than it is on us. I've done literally 100's of these and only lost a couple fish and they were way past saving anyway.

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to do a FW dip today. My wife and I recently had a baby and today was a rough one. I managed to take some pictures with my DSLR. I don't know if they help the diagnosis or not, but I figure I would add them to this thread:

Clown.JPG

Clown_2.JPG

Clown_3.JPG

Clownact.JPG

Clownact2.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are better pictures. It doesn't appear to be moving around at all, so I'm thinking it's a mild infection. You can do a couple things for it.
1. Add vitamins to their food (Selcon, Vitachem as examples) and give it time - what I would do at this point.
2. Use Kanaplex + focus in the food and feed this once a day for 10+ days until it's gone
3. Put into QT and treat the water with kanaplex or Furan 2 for the same amount of time.

Back