White threads between zoas

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were dipped in coral rx before they went into the tank.
Was about mid October. Just started seeing these a few days ago.

Dip them again.
I'm having issues with some of the zoas sloughing off skin like a shed.
I'm wondering...is there a good dip that I can use to eliminate bacteria, algae, any pests. I was thinking bayer. What if I dipped all the zoa frags in bayer?

There are a bunch of dips out there. Bayer is an insecticide used for critters. Dont see any pros to using bayer as an antibacterial dip. Thinking its like using fungicide on aphids, but could be wrong. Coral rx will help treat coral with an infection but might not be able to cure it. Melafix can be used in QT but again its just antiseptic like coral rx. Other meds can be used in QT too. We can start listing them out here. And collectively discuss whats the best course. At this time since its on hand i would dip the zoa in the coral rx. If you have H2O2 I would first dip them in a 50/50 mix for 10-20 minutes. Rinse in CLEAN SW for 10-20 minutes. Dip in coral rx as directed. Rinse in CLEAN SW for 10-20minutes.

You may want to look into BA's Medicoral. Call your LFS see if they carrying it.

what algae do you think it is

Looks like its a species of green hair, maybe young bryopsis. I guess these could be tubes too. Def not hydros. Its a tough picture to be sure on, and im not an expert. It is an educated guess, but may need more educating ;).

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip them again.

There are a bunch of dips out there. Bayer is an insecticide used for critters. Dont see any pros to using bayer as an antibacterial dip. Thinking its like using fungicide on aphids, but could be wrong. Coral rx will help treat coral with an infection but might not be able to cure it. Melafix can be used in QT but again its just antiseptic like coral rx. Other meds can be used in QT too. We can start listing them out here. And collectively discuss whats the best course. At this time since its on hand i would dip the zoa in the coral rx. If you have H2O2 I would first dip them in a 50/50 mix for 10-20 minutes. Rinse in CLEAN SW for 10-20 minutes. Dip in coral rx as directed. Rinse in CLEAN SW for 10-20minutes.

You may want to look into BA's Medicoral. Call your LFS see if they carrying it.

Looks like its a species of green hair, maybe young bryopsis. I guess these could be tubes too. Def not hydros. Its a tough picture to be sure on, and im not an expert. It is an educated guess, but may need more educating ;).
Wow!
For what?

Grandis.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you all for your opinions!!
Let's list dips and what they're used for? I'm sure they all are for a unique purpose and I don't know if many so it will be educational!
(Ps ty, they're not hard. I tried to pull them with tweezers and they just fell apart)

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you all for your opinions!!
Let's list dips and what they're used for? I'm sure they all are for a unique purpose and I don't know if many so it will be educational!
(Ps ty, they're not hard. I tried to pull them with tweezers and they just fell apart)
Gotcha.was thinking maybe those V. Snail tubes. Do they seem to have antennas like ants or split into a Y shape towards the end?

If it's a algae why not try hydrogen peroxide

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha.was thinking maybe those V. Snail tubes. Do they seem to have antennas like ants or split into a Y shape towards the end?

If it's a algae why not try hydrogen peroxide
Because they look already dead! Haha!:D
They don't mess with the zoas at all... naturally found among them in nature.
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For one to eliminate the algae. And its therapeutic to dip them in RX or medicoral, so if he is concerned i say go ahead and dip them.
Hummm...
But that's already looking dead and there is no need even if they were alive...
Too much dipping already...
Grandis.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W
For one to eliminate the algae. And its therapeutic to dip them in RX or medicoral, so if he is concerned i say go ahead and dip them.
why does everyone assume I'm a he? Hahahahaha

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they look already dead! Haha!:D
They don't mess with the zoas at all... naturally found among them in nature.
Grandis.
Didn't mean for her to do it. SHe just asked for dips and what they were used for. I agree let them be alittle longer, try a new location possibly?:p Sorryyyy

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hummm...
But that's already looking dead and there is no need even if they were alive...
Too much dipping already...
Grandis.
The coral in this post has had no dips (other than the first a few months ago). We have been working on another, separate issue on different palys :) thanks for looking out for me though lol

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't mean for her to do it. SHe just asked for dips and what they were used for. I agree let them be alittle longer, try a new location possibly?:p Sorryyyy
Hahaha it's ok :)
Surprisingly, I get that a lot....
We should do a sticky of what dips are out there and what they're used for!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral in this post has had no dips (other than the first a few months ago). We have been working on another, separate issue on different palys :) thanks for looking out for me though lol
You driving me crazy!!!LOL!
With the posts...LOL!
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think they are dead?
They look transparent to me...
They aren't any big deal even when they are alive...
If you remove them with tweezers they will disappear after a while... the polyps will take care of them!
Grandis.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back