White threads between zoas

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's talking about the unknown hairs. If you thought the zoas. And that grandis is a he not she

The algae is not dead in that picture
Hey guys
Can you help me id what these white thread like grows are? These are bam bams and they're all over between the polyps. They're staying closed :(
Also as you can see, some polyps are closed but you can see their skirts a bit, others are closed "tighter" what does that mean?
IMG_4041.JPG

Pretty sure this is how my bryopsis invasion began.

They look transparent to me...
They aren't any big deal even when they are alive...
If you remove them with tweezers they will disappear after a while... the polyps will take care of them!
Grandis.

I dont think the algae Is dead. I would QT this frag until its completely gone. Using manual tweezers and H2O2. When they are closed up tight its the best time to dip them in h2O2. You can go straight 3% dripped over the frag. Then for a couple minutes held out exposed in the air. then straight into clean SW rinse.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look transparent to me...
They aren't any big deal even when they are alive...
If you remove them with tweezers they will disappear after a while... the polyps will take care of them!
Grandis.

I agree the zoa will out compete with help, but algae grows at a faster rate.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey its cool man. I said im no expert. This is what I would do. Its alllll goooood :)

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries... Yep it's all good...
I have to go now... All good. :)
Aloha!
Grandis.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can manually pick them off but I think peroxide is a big extreme at this point in time. I'll see how the week progresses
Thanks again for your help

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
peroxide, iodine a few others can be pretty harsh, but effective depending on what your dipping for.
IME zoas dont dig repeated peroxide dips. one of my zoa gurus says never do it, as some will pretty much melt. IME(nudibranchs and cheap zoas) repeated peroxide does have a pretty substantial effect on them.
I do look for and spot treat the plugs w it though, that works pretty well.

As I understand it, coral rx, revive and a few of the others use concentrations natural compounds that basicly attack either the nervous system digestive tracts or the actual cells of the organisim. much like some garden and household pest sprays use chrysanthemum oil. Peroxide is an oxidizer and attacks the weakest cell structures adnd basicly dissolves them. Plant call stomach lining thin skin on pests. Bayer is plain insecticide, and does nothing to algae that ive seen.
The difficulty w rx and revive is its is gentle and usually needs repeat dips imo, and was formulated with the understanding folks will qt. we all should actually. IMO most dip in bayer drop it in the tank and expect that thats fine.:eek:....... bayer nor rx nor anything kills eggs and agin it does nothing for algae.

the theory on them copper, algaecide, peroxide, dips, chemo etc is your dropping an organism into a poisonous or toxic compound and the the higher organisms will be least effected by the concentration of the compound.
so, for me that says repeated dips in a gentler compound over time as the higher organisms may be effected.

One thing I am considering for alges is an algaecide in qt. Im still wrapping by head around how they work as there are a couple strategies.. a few appear to be concentrations of compounds that specifically made to dissolve or burn plant matter. A few appear to be microbes that eat and kill plant matter. o_O also I surmise the things that eat them like snails and slugs, thus my hesitancy to put them in my reef as it would IMO upset the balances there.

edit. also some of my snails have names:rolleyes:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back