• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me alone in the hobby that thinks bounce corals are way over priced and look terrible? I am sure some people like them but how much of it is just to say you have one? i prefer lps and sps. And I have seen some amazing softy tanks. But I think bounce corals are mushrooms with warts and allot of the time they look better with out the bounce. I don't mean to offend anyone just surprised how fast these became popular and for the price.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me alone in the hobby that thinks bounce corals are way over priced and look terrible? I am sure some people like them but how much of it is just to say you have one? i prefer lps and sps. And I have seen some amazing softy tanks. But I think bounce corals are mushrooms with warts and allot of the time they look better with out the bounce. I don't mean to offend anyone just surprised how fast these became popular and for the price.
It's a fad but in coral fashion just like named zoas and chalice. I agree although I don't think they look terrible, they are being over glamourized and over priced. JMO

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a sps guy but I saw a huge bounce in person and couldn't stop looking at it. They are amazing corals.

I do think the price is too high and they will be coming down soon. There are several frags for sale everyday on this forum. Just a matter of time before they are less than $100 a frag and even lower after that.

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my sticks.... and some LPS too I suppose lol. I've never been into softies much, but I've seen some pretty cool softie tanks. However, I just cannot see the appeal of the Bounce mushrooms. Maybe if I saw one in person I'd think differently but I doubt it.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they would bother me if the price wasn't so high. I still wouldn't buy one. I know to each is own. I see the same ones being passed around the locals here on face book. For some reason I the acros that have large price tags makes more sense but I stick to easy acros and montis

coralvault

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is have you actually even seen a large one or even a large colony of OG bounce mushrooms? They are one of the brightest coral I have ever seen especially the bright yellow. It's something that even the lay person will stare at for a while(and the first thing anyone notices). As for the other "bounce" mushrooms that have dull colors, I do not find those attractive just because there is a bubble on a mushroom. But that florescent yellow OG bounce is very impressive.

spidercrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am honestly sick of sps selling at 1/4 inch for 400$ and it's just a photoshopped red planet that could be bought for 5$(Photoshop is just ramapant with acros)... Also the names are getting ridiculous there are getting to be wayyy too many named acro and some acro colonies now have 10 different names for the same colony.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not saying the price makes it ugly. I have never been a fan of shrooms regardless. I had lots in my first tank. And there are some softys I really like. I have seen some type of bounce coral in person and yes the color was intense. How ever it was very small. I love hammer corals and yet I have no disre to own a neon green one even the brightest and most colorful. I see lots of corals with crazy price tags. i think coral prices and even equipment prices are out of hand. But oh well I'll keep paying it to stay in hobby. Again I did not start the thread to start an argument, just wondering how these things got so popular. I am a mixed reef guy. I like a little of all types.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason they are popular is people thinking the can get one and make a few bucks off it. I have a bounce myself and have given several frags of them to my friends for free. to me this is a hobby I love and if I start selling frags then it becomes a job and I already have one of those.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how to put this, But human beings value things differently, this applies to everything including money, life, health, fitness, family time, happiness. For example two different people will value a single dollar differently. There are people that will look at any of us thinking that we are crazy for spending so much money on a little bucket of water with some weird plants inside. Yet they will go out and buy a $1,000 pair of shoes , or go out for a dinner in a fancy restaurant and spend 500 on a meal. Also Remember... this crappy painting is valued at 2.3 million.
IMG_0829.PNG

IMG_0828.JPG

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I first got into this hobby, the only names I knew were scientific names, (something I still use) mixed with a few common names. But again, that was the 80's and 90's. The only common names were stags, tabling, bottle brush, etc..... Zoathids, were, well, zoathids, not sunny d, purple eye Darth zombie eater. Mushrooms were mushrooms, Rhodactis, actinodiscus, ricordea, amplexidiscus. Now it's tropical this, sunset mystic rainbow that.
Whatever, I'm going back to the interwebs for some fake news. o_O:D
Where's the Mic drop emoji?

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dislike them and the "named" coral industry, simply because it now costs ten times the price for one polyp/frag of something that I could have bought a colony of years ago before someone decided cutting it up or selecting a single polyp due to its slightly different attributes.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm over them. There was one point I had looked at a baby wwc bounce and thought maybe I'll buy that. About 5 seconds later I could have slapped myself, what a stupid move that would have been. As a lot of you know I identify everything with their scientific name, not their hype name. So the nerd side of me kicked in and told me that's simply a mushroom in the genus Rhodactis that's developed bulbous pseudo tentacles and it can happen with many others than just that one why don't you get a colony and do it that way instead of spending 600 on a little dot, and that was enough of that.

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not saying the price makes it ugly. I have never been a fan of shrooms regardless. I had lots in my first tank. And there are some softys I really like. I have seen some type of bounce coral in person and yes the color was intense. How ever it was very small. I love hammer corals and yet I have no disre to own a neon green one even the brightest and most colorful. I see lots of corals with crazy price tags. i think coral prices and even equipment prices are out of hand. But oh well I'll keep paying it to stay in hobby. Again I did not start the thread to start an argument, just wondering how these things got so popular. I am a mixed reef guy. I like a little of all types.

I see where you are coming from.

For a lot of us there is a sticker shock.
Corals are like anything else in life. I have seen million dollar homes which I would not trade my house for :). Unless I could sell it then get my old house back :)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back