Who has Angels in their reef???

Dog Boy Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for any others out there and a quick question for regal owners. I have a opportunity to pick up a red sea regal angel that has been in a holding system for over 2 weeks. It's eating mussels and pellets like crazy. No shipping needed so not only would it he a quick pick up and no stress with shipping, but I'd see it eat! Here's my issue: if it's eating mussels that good, then my clams would be definitely on the menu I assume right? Thanks y'all

Country boy using tapatalk from Evo 4g
Anything soft and fleshy is fair game for any angel. If they are not eating your softies its just because they havent figured it out yet. All of my angels eat clams and anything else soft. However, clams is their favorite food and I bet even my tangs would tear a live one apart if i put it in the tank now since they eat frozen clams all the time. Even my tangs have learned to graze slime off of the sps. They learn to eat from other fish and after they figure it out any Angel will eat almost anything in your tank. My big Emperator eats a quarter of an inch at a time when he decides to graze an sps. However, in my experience, Angels and Butterflies as well are reef safe with SPS. They will all learn to eat just about anything soft and fleshy. I have caught mine grazing on a leather coral and gorgonians as well. I hate to repost this video, but here are some angel pics if you havent seen them in another thread. Notice in all my videos, the fish graze constantly and they pick at everything. They have learned to do this over the years. It takes a new fish a couple months to figure it out but they all do eventually and then most of them get very omnivorous.

[video=youtube;lJ0toB6hfXE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ0toB6hfXE&feature=g-upl&context=G2976b28AUAAAAAAABAA[/video]

Dog Boy Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH, most of the soft stuff accept the anemones were oplaced in the sump because the Copperband or the Angels were grazing on them.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH, most of the soft stuff accept the anemones were oplaced in the sump because the Copperband or the Angels were grazing on them.

I appreciate the comment and very nice vid and system. I still can't decide which I am gonna prefer more in the future (clams or regal) so I'll keep tossing it up in the air. As for softies and lps, I don't have much. 2 hammers, 2 meat/doughnut corals, 3 acan colonies, 2 low end chalices and xenia ( all these I probally could part with). Pretty much everything else is sps and outta random sponges (nothing I've purchased). As of this momment, the wife thinks I should keep the clams and look into other alternatives than the regal, but I can't walk away that easy from the beauty of these. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally found a fella that has me a regal within driving distance and has him eating pellets in qt. This one is a grey belly, but he might have a yellow one this week. I've seen it done before, but if I was to get both regals and add them into my qt w/ maybe a egg crate divider, what would be the chance of getting them to coexist together in my 240 (8 x 2 x 2) ?? They'd be with my tangs (1 black, 1 orange shoulder, 1 chevron) all under 4 inches.

Country boy using tapatalk on a HTC Evo

el richie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the regals!!! I have a "pair" of multibarred angels in my 40b They've been eating frozen and flakes...... and started taking pellets this morning!!!!! Now if I could te them to stop pecking at my sps and start taking nori ill be a happy camper!

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the regals!!! I have a "pair" of multibarred angels in my 40b They've been eating frozen and flakes...... and started taking pellets this morning!!!!! Now if I could te them to stop pecking at my sps and start taking nori ill be a happy camper!

We're yours a ''true'' pair or something you got lucky with? These 2 wouldn't be a true pair. Kinda hoping they would get along in my 240. I intended to keep them in a separate tank or at with a divider. Maybe taking out the divider after a week and see how things go.

el richie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I say pair because they're together in the same tank. Not really a pair yet but they're different size so hopefully the bigger one turns male and the smaller one female. I used a critter box to check for aggression and after a day decided to let him loose and fortunately they haven't killed each other

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I say pair because they're together in the same tank. Not really a pair yet but they're different size so hopefully the bigger one turns male and the smaller one female. I used a critter box to check for aggression and after a day decided to let him loose and fortunately they haven't killed each other

Awesome. Thanks for the imput.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping for more :roll:. Looked thru this thread, over and over after loosing a regal after 3 weeks in qt and a vendor loosing one I was expecting (he had this one eating flakes and mysis for 3 weeks). I love my tangs, but want someting a bit more flashy. Still debating on a regal (my favorite so far), but a emperor is starting to become a possibility with their avaiablity and boldness. Having one though, I'd being going all sps and getting rid of my lps and clams (which I intended if needed). Let's see some more or updates on any of the previous.

bigsink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go Genicanthus. They are the best Angels for the reef.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a Pomacanthus navarchus in my 125g mixed reef.

I feed 4x daily, NLS 2x/day and my own special reef blend 2x/day.

I also mix in some other stuff.

He has been well behaved, but part of this is how well fed he is. He also will eat fungia, and has picked at acans. You will see him pick on other corals from time to time, but not the extent of leaving permanent damage. The worst damage he does is trying to steal food from corals mouths - which the wrasses and tangs do as well.

Genicanthus are also a good choice - Im adding one in the near future to my tank. My brother has a very small one, and it has picked at corals, but only dead/dying ones.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go Genicanthus. They are the best Angels for the reef.

Thanks.

Well I spoke with Kevin @ PIA late last night via pm and purchased the regal on the site this morning. He's eating pellets and mysis for them. Thanks Kevin.

nonstopfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the Regal!!! Seems to be very hit or miss with them in reefs, also with them living the first few months even when eating.

I have a Bellus Angel in my reef and love it. Had an Emperor Juve. for a while but it started to pick at everything(SPS, and LPS). I have a Regal in a different tank and really want it in my reef, but not sure I want to risk it and having to catch it if it doesn't work out.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

Well I spoke with Kevin @ PIA late last night via pm and purchased the regal on the site this morning. He's eating pellets and mysis for them. Thanks Kevin.

We thought about you when we saw the pics Kevin posted of the blue-bellied Regal last night. It's a cutie! Keep us posted...

-M&T

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a coral beauty in my reef no problem, I am adding a bi color after it leaves qt, it is being qted with corals just to be sure.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We thought about you when we saw the pics Kevin posted of the blue-bellied Regal last night. It's a cutie! Keep us posted...

-M&T

I almost pm'd you guys for your opinion if I couldn't get Kevin. I'm really up beat about this one knowing Kevin and his quality of fish. My only issue is my qt isn't where I'd like it(after previous issues), so I'm hoping he's been with them for a bit in there qt.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck this time around, looking forward to some pics. I hope this one does amazing for you!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back