Who has Angels in their reef???

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltgator, I have kept Goldens on and off for a very long time. Back in the early 90's I was actually at the wholesaler at LAX when the first Goldens for the hobby came into the country. They have always caught my eye. However, in my experience they are one of the shyest fish in my tank. I have had a couple that will go months without being seen. The pair I have now are very different, one is a very dark rusty color and the second one I added is very red. I have not seen them "paired up". At the moment I am spending alot of time in front of the tank with the lights off and I see the goldens out and about during the day. But neither (and none that I have had in the past) ever takes food I put in the tank. They are clearly pickers (in my experience).

And the strange thing is I have talked friends into getting this fish and in their tanks they swim out and about in the water column.

Dave B

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltgator, I have kept Goldens on and off for a very long time. Back in the early 90's I was actually at the wholesaler at LAX when the first Goldens for the hobby came into the country. They have always caught my eye. However, in my experience they are one of the shyest fish in my tank. I have had a couple that will go months without being seen. The pair I have now are very different, one is a very dark rusty color and the second one I added is very red. I have not seen them "paired up". At the moment I am spending alot of time in front of the tank with the lights off and I see the goldens out and about during the day. But neither (and none that I have had in the past) ever takes food I put in the tank. They are clearly pickers (in my experience).

And the strange thing is I have talked friends into getting this fish and in their tanks they swim out and about in the water column.

Dave B

Thanks Dave.

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir. Have a soft spot for dwarf angels, hence the reason I have 6 of them. If I could get away with another tank, I would have more. :)

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir. Have a soft spot for dwarf angels, hence the reason I have 6 of them. If I could get away with another tank, I would have more. :)

My regal is my top now. I'm more than pleased with him/her and can't wait to put 'em in the reef
I've thought about what he may nip/eat, but either way, he is staying (even if i never get a blue squamosa).

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the thing, if you accept that they may nip (( and even prevent you from getting certain corals/clams )), and still happy with them, then it was a great purchase.

Heck, how can I say no to this guy, even if he eats fleshy LPS.

venustus2.jpg

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the thing, if you accept that they may nip (( and even prevent you from getting certain corals/clams )), and still happy with them, then it was a great purchase.

venustus2.jpg

I'm considering one of those next and agree 100%

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been pretty good (( have had it for 2.25 years now )) with corals. Has left SPS (( still has PE )), zoas, clams and gonis alone. Really has only bothered fleshy type LPS.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been pretty good (( have had it for 2.25 years now )) with corals. Has left SPS (( still has PE )), zoas, clams and gonis alone. Really has only bothered fleshy type LPS.

Good deal. Yeah, I intend to be 90% sps with clams and a few (maybe)frogspawm and hammer.

Soehl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to train Angels? Maybe put it in QT with a coral that will sting it or is poisonous.... They can obviously learn so maybe.

As far as my Angels, I am sticking with Genicanthus. Bellus, Swallowtail, Watanebei, Lamark(Lamarck), and Blackspot/Lyretail. All reef safe. The only one I have now is the Bellus and am planning of having, at least, 3. But MAN, it is hard to stop there. They are so beautiful. FOWLR in the future!!! :)

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to train Angels? Maybe put it in QT with a coral that will sting it or is poisonous.... They can obviously learn so maybe.

As far as my Angels, I am sticking with Genicanthus. Bellus, Swallowtail, Watanebei, Lamark(Lamarck), and Blackspot/Lyretail. All reef safe. The only one I have now is the Bellus and am planning of having, at least, 3. But MAN, it is hard to stop there. They are so beautiful. FOWLR in the future!!! :)

I agree on not stopping. I love my regal and he has been 100% safe (so far, fingers crossed). I'd like a majestic and a emperor, but maybe a FOWLR in the future.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump! I know more are out there! Let's see some updated shots too from y'all that have posted. I'm considering a emperor (juvenile) now that my regal has been with me over a year.

Country boy using tapatalk on his Samsung note

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

venustus2.jpg

I love that fish so much I'd probably buy him some LPS to chew on!

Gladfelter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Coral Beauty but got rid of him. No evidence that he nipped but the thought of it was go ing me a heart attack. Plus I was upgrading to my 125 so I knew if I moved him over I.would never catch him

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a Majestic, Asfur, Blueline and Flame in my sps/zoa/euphyllia tank. Have only been doing SPS for about 8 months. You can tell there isn't as much polyp extension on the SPS during the day but at night they are out in full force. I would say growth on the SPS hasn't been quite as fast as I expected either. I would attribute this to a peck every once and while from one of the angels keeping the polyps at bay during the day. No SPS deaths due to angels though. So for no angel has touched the Euphyllia or zoas. I know the zoas will probably be eaten eventually but I'm OK with that.

20131111_205954.jpg
20131111_205918.jpg

Attachments

• 20131111_210153.jpg
    20131111_210153.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back