Who's still vodka dosing and how's it going?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All i can say is dont overdose vodka. 5ml per day of 80 proof was enough to grow a pound of slime in a week on a screen. Fish all good, corals not so much.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing Vodka for almost a year. Personally for me, (I haven't read all the replies) it has been going well. There is science behind vodka dosing and I personally see effects very similar to the use of ozone. Back in the day I had an ozone machine that turned any tubing that wasn't ozone proof yellow and helped the skimmer go wild. I personally think vodka dosing has a similar effect - just without the expensive machine, yellow tubing and annoying testing.

Which effects of ozone are you referring to?

IMO, the main benefit of ozone is reducing yellowing of the water. You think organic carbon dosing accomplishes that in your system?

Edit: I didn't realize was a 4 year old post lol

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a small amount of ozone, and I have noticed my lps responds favourably to it...if inflating or "puffing up" more is a favourable response.
I never noticed that till I read a snippet in a thread mentioning it, so I did a few experiments where the only difference I did was either run it or shut if off and observed the response at the same time each day.
I have no idea what is going on that they seem to like it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a small amount of ozone, and I have noticed my lps responds favourably to it...if inflating or "puffing up" more is a favourable response.
I never noticed that till I read a snippet in a thread mentioning it, so I did a few experiments where the only difference I did was either run it or shut if off and observed the response at the same time each day.
I have no idea what is going on that they seem to like it.

That assumes inflated equates with "liking it", but it could be true. :)

Paul J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm looking at mixing vodka and vinegar together. However I need some help on the dosage of each. I'm dosing now 0.7ml vodka on week 8 into a 88 litre reef and I have 10mg/l nitrate and 0.03mg/l phosphate. These figures have been the same for 4 weeks.
I hear that a mix of vodka and vinegar might get me to the stage of, zero nitrate and phosphate, where I can cut the dosage in half and adjust the dosage as and when necessary.
I have cheato working, a Ehiem canister filter with Purigen and carbon with sponges and floss, a surface skimmer, a protein skimmer running 24/7, in the back of the rear sump...
I had to cut back on week 3 as I was getting a lot of slime in the canister filter and the protein skimmer, and some corals were looking off colour.
Any suggestions on the dosage mix and the system I have running to get to my objective.

Paul J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I need some help on dosing a mix of vodka and vinegar. (I hear that vinegar has benefits for many tank inhabitants)

I'm dosing 0.7ml vodka into a 88 litre reef on week 8 and the readings for nitrate are 10mg/l and 0.03mg/l Phosphate.

The reef has been up and running for 2 years.

The readings of both figures have been the same for 4 weeks.

I hear that a mix of Vodka and Vinegar could get be to my goal of 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate which I need to achieve before cutting the dose in half and then adjust as and when necessary.

I still change out 10 litres of water each week.

I had to cut back on week 3 due to heavy amount of slime in the canister filter and the protein skimmer and some coral were not looking so good.
I need a ratio of V&V to continue the amount I'm dosing at this time. I will be dosing 0.8ml in couple of days time and will continue with 0.1ml increase each week.

Solis Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like dosing vodka but my sistem is has a total of 300 gal and a skimmer rated for 500 gal and I only have 2 fish. I’m having problem trying to keep phosphate and nitrates levels above 0 lol. Some of the corals starting to brown so I’m feeding like crazy so for now the vodka is on line but no dosing it yet.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I need some help on dosing a mix of vodka and vinegar. (I hear that vinegar has benefits for many tank inhabitants)

I'm dosing 0.7ml vodka into a 88 litre reef on week 8 and the readings for nitrate are 10mg/l and 0.03mg/l Phosphate.

The reef has been up and running for 2 years.

The readings of both figures have been the same for 4 weeks.

I hear that a mix of Vodka and Vinegar could get be to my goal of 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate which I need to achieve before cutting the dose in half and then adjust as and when necessary.

I still change out 10 litres of water each week.

I had to cut back on week 3 due to heavy amount of slime in the canister filter and the protein skimmer and some coral were not looking so good.
I need a ratio of V&V to continue the amount I'm dosing at this time. I will be dosing 0.8ml in couple of days time and will continue with 0.1ml increase each week.

FWIW, there's no evidence that vodka, vinegar, or any mixture of them is better at lowering nutrients than any other combination or individual organic.

Paul J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy I will keep with the Vodka for now. Q: if you could answer this for me? When I change to Vinegar and Vodka mix would a 2:1 ratio Vinegar to vodka work safely.

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing vodka more then 2 years bad because bio pellet and AIO pellet very expensive and a lot of cleaning job. Nitrate under control. Now I had change to vinegar plus sugar.
Its so much cheaper and still keep my nitrate under control.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy I will keep with the Vodka for now. Q: if you could answer this for me? When I change to Vinegar and Vodka mix would a 2:1 ratio Vinegar to vodka work safely.

I can’t see why not. Even pure vinegar (my preference) is a great choice. [emoji3]

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back