Why is my new clownfish hiding?

DalPal25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Just bought a new clownfish to go with my other clownfish. They're both ocellaris, both same size. The first couple days I put the new one in, both clowns were interested in each other doing the little jiggly dance or whatever you call it. Seemed to be going great. There was an instance of one nipping the other but when I called my LFS they said to give it a couple weeks because the new one might be changing sex in order to be compatible with the other. It was the next day that the newest clown started hiding in one rock crevice and hardly comes out. It sticks its head out every once in a while but then goes back in. The other clown is swimming around just fine like nothings changed. Why is this happening?

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original clown is probably bullying the new one and that's why he's hiding clowns can be quite mean. If you wait long enough they may eventually learn to live with each other.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed if the clown you had prior has bullied the new one? Typically in this type of situation you should have gotten a clown slightly larger than the one you already had. All depends on the fish, but it might just take some time for them to settle down. The clown you already had, already established itself in the aquarium. Thus, when you introduced the exact same species of the same size, you created tension. As @kacrocorals581 said, if you give it time they may figure each other out, sometimes they don't. Be patient.

OP
OP
DalPal25

DalPal25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so how much time? I certainly don't want to wait so long that the new one ends up getting bullied to death. At what point do I say one of them needs a new home?

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so how much time? I certainly don't want to wait so long that the new one ends up getting bullied to death. At what point do I say one of them needs a new home?

So how long has it been since you introduced the new one? When you feed does it come out? I had a similar issue, a larger clown bullied a smaller one for months until they figured each other out. As long as the clown being bullied is getting food, just let them figure it out. Make sure your tank is covered though, I have heard stories of folks having clowns jump from similar situations.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes months for a clown to change sex to a dominate female, a dominate female in a smaller or medium size tank will not tolerate another female or a clown in transition to female. It's always best to assume a lone clown in a tank is a female and to purchase juvenile smaller in size, that are not demonstrating dominance in the LFS tanks.
Hiding can also be a sign of disease, so if they were not QT'd prior to introduction be on the look out for the signs and symptoms of disease.

OP
OP
DalPal25

DalPal25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how long has it been since you introduced the new one? When you feed does it come out? I had a similar issue, a larger clown bullied a smaller one for months until they figured each other out. As long as the clown being bullied is getting food, just let them figure it out. Make sure your tank is covered though, I have heard stories of folks having clowns jump from similar situations.

It's been almost 2 weeks

OP
OP
DalPal25

DalPal25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi !
Congratulations with your purchase!
I hope fish will get used to each other and everything will be OK ;)
Can you send some photos, please?

- Zhenya

IMG_1901.JPG

Here's one!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back