Why is my sand still brown?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also have a short light cycle. So the diatoms are growing slow I think and not burning it out of the system from the dry rock build.
Its Is possible because we live in So Cal the ro filters burned faster too. I know. 0 tds, but I've seen it claimed here more than once. And most said they replaced just the carbon and sediment and it went away.

JDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may experiment with a different flow pattern directed more towards the substrate, but still need to find what is feeding the problem such as silicates. Just a curious thought, not trying to get you off track.

PS: thank you for your service to our Great country! John

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Interesting. It must be feeding on something. Since you tried a cyano remover it may very well be diatoms.

They bloom under conditions of light, silicates, nitrates, stagnant water, and mineral rich water.

You appear to have phosphates and nitrates under control or I would still be suggesting the Red Sea NO3PO4. I have had good results with it.

Diatoms do not do well under a strong current. Blow a power head towards your sand making it harder for them to attach and settle.

Second, use Chemical Pure Elite carbon filtration as it adds ferric oxide to the original formula to also remove phosphates and most importantly in your case silicates.

Lastly use RO water to recover evaporation loss and for water changes (if you aren't already) to further reduce the chance of letting crap into the system.

Keep us posted. Curious to hear how it works out.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a water sample to Reef Lounge in Anaheim, CA and I found out I have some silicates. I bought some phosguard and put it in a mesh bag in the sump infront of a powerhead.

Now is it your sand or water that's feeding the silicates to the diatoms. Start with the water. Need to test your incoming water source for silicates. Also, municipal water companies post water quality reports each year. Time to do some reading. Also, don't rule out your salt mix. Some have been know to have elevated silica in a bad batch or two. Remote, but you never know.

If the fresh water and freshly made saltwater is low in silica, then it's the sand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think this removed your silicates?

That's what it says it does and I'm believing it

IMG_3454.JPG

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its great that you seen results from Phosguard.Is Phosguard a fix for long term?Or short term?

OP
OP
USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short term for sure. Long term I don't know. I have to do some research and see if silicates can come back on their own (which I think they cannot).

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short term for sure. Long term I don't know. I have to do some research and see if silicates can come back on their own (which I think they cannot).

Silicate in the water can be managed with media, as proven. But there is a source it's coming from. Source water (tap), foods ( highly unlikely), or bound in sand or rock. Until the source is depleted, you may have to continue to use media to remove it from the water, but....... this won't address the diatoms growing on your sand bed. (It may slow them down, though)

If the sand bed is holding silicates, regardless if you remove it from the water, it will continue to feed the diatoms until it's used up.

If it's source water...... need to test it for silicates or get that municipal water report to see if it has silicates in you tap water.

Just have to wait it out till this happens. (If it doesn't, say six months from now, I'd replace the sand bed. Just saying)

OP
OP
USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand bed is dry live sand. I wonder how much that has to do with it.

Yeah I'll take it out after two weeks of use and see how my sand bed reacts.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most municipal water treatment plants add silicates to their water supply to keep copper and lead from leaching into the water. Stops corrosion of the pipes.

Most RO/DI units can remove the silicates from the water, but if the ppm is high, it can get pass the membrane and the DI resin into your tank. It's good to know what your water company is putting in your water. Like chloramines.....etc.

Using RO/DI, right? When was the last time you replaced your membrane?

OP
OP
USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I got it 6 months ago. I specifically bought a highly capable spectrapure rodi unit that's able to deal with high chloramines. I live in LA and it's notoriously high here. AZdesertrat recommended the model.

Membrane is working well. TDS of water coming out of tap is roughly 250. 2 after membrane and 0 after DI.

Last edited:

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good.How many days after using Phosguard did your sand bed clear up?

OP
OP
USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3. It's not crystal white but it definitely not brown like before. I'd say I have another week before all of the diatoms are completely removed from my sand bed

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same problem with my tank that is about 3 years old.So far i have tried Vibrant to no great results besides cleaner glass.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back