Why No Reef-Safe Ich treatment?

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Seriously - we spend 1000's of dollars on computers that monitor everything in our tanks. Half of us want to spend that on something that monitors KH alone! We have LED lights that can mimic the weather and sun cycle of anywhere on the planet....that we can operate from our phones.

We are tragically in a hobby where we'll buy absolutely anything to give us an edge.....but still...with all that money spent, nobody has developed a reef safe cure for ich? Rather, one that actually works?

I know...I know...QT is the cure for ich, but we're all idiots at some point and unfortunately I bet 90% of us have had a tank get ich. Then we're supposed to somehow catch every fish and go fallow for seven years? (sarcasm).

You'd think some enterprising company would work out a reef-safe cure for these guys. I mean, it's literally the easiest thing to cure once you get it in copper....so we can't sort out something else that works?

No joke - and I'm by no means a rich reef keeper - I'd spend $500 to nuke Ich in my display right now. There's just no way I can catch every fish so I'm in ich management and it sucks because I don't want to get any new fish. So I have a 200g with 10 fish....

Come on companies - supply/demand!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question.
IMO as the treatment for Ick also has some medication in there that would not work with corals and inverts like corals.
With the right dose it's deadly to corals and inverts.

#reefsquad

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously - we spend 1000's of dollars on computers that monitor everything in our tanks. Half of us want to spend that on something that monitors KH alone! We have LED lights that can mimic the weather and sun cycle of anywhere on the planet....that we can operate from our phones.

We are tragically in a hobby where we'll buy absolutely anything to give us an edge.....but still...with all that money spent, nobody has developed a reef safe cure for ich? Rather, one that actually works?

I know...I know...QT is the cure for ich, but we're all idiots at some point and unfortunately I bet 90% of us have had a tank get ich. Then we're supposed to somehow catch every fish and go fallow for seven years? (sarcasm).

You'd think some enterprising company would work out a reef-safe cure for these guys. I mean, it's literally the easiest thing to cure once you get it in copper....so we can't sort out something else that works?

No joke - and I'm by no means a rich reef keeper - I'd spend $500 to nuke Ich in my display right now. There's just no way I can catch every fish so I'm in ich management and it sucks because I don't want to get any new fish. So I have a 200g with 10 fish....

Come on companies - supply/demand!

There are some extremely promising reviews for Polyp Lab Medic when run in conjunction with a UV Sterilizer....

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one for you, poly labs has one link I have not tried it, but I will ;)

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok wow. Does this polyp stuff actually work?? Anybody had any experience with it?? I don't want to kill all my coral to not kill all my fish.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok wow. Does this polyp stuff actually work?? Anybody had any experience with it?? I don't want to kill all my coral to not kill all my fish.
it doesn't kill ich I believe. Probidio has a similar product.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does make me go hmmm.... a "reef safe oxidizing agent" seems like an oxymoron to me.

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it and some different so called reef safe remedies before it. They all failed to clear the ick. finally broke down the tank and transferred all the fish to a QT and treated them. Put them all in a bigger holding tank for 79 days while the DT went fallow. Removing a 180lb. of pukani rock and catching all those fish was not an easy job, but well worth it. Fish are healthy and tank is ick free and will remain that way. No additional fish will go into my DT for a very, very long time if ever. Hope u clear up your problem with whatever means u come up with.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's a study now on hydrogen peroxide for Ich. Humble mentioned it.
And we do use H2O2 for treating cyano.... I just wouldn't have thought it would be a high enough concentration to impact a parasite.

I did look for that study but haven't found anything. Maybe it is still in progress and the results haven't been released yet.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should say I haven't found any studies being done using H2O2 in a reef tank to cure ich. I have found some tests using very high levels (50+ppm) as a bath to treat ich.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a conversation with poly labs and it supposed to treat the system with out OT.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a conversation with poly labs and it supposed to treat the system with out OT.
Hard to believe. Not a shot at you jsker but that's equivalent to the cigarette rep telling me cigarettes won't kill me.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back