Why No Reef-Safe Ich treatment?

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some extremely promising reviews for Polyp Lab Medic when run in conjunction with a UV Sterilizer....

Nope. Does not work. I talked with Poly Lab during my treatment. Shut off UV and skimmer and took out carbon. I also did 3 or 4 times the recommended dose. Three bottles later, it did not do a single thing.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I have a friend who used to study fish in Emory university. Basically he said hobby related researches don't have much profit even if you make a big break through. 99% of the fish related research are commercial focused and funded by bi corporations.
The few hundreds and thousands bucks we spend every year is probably less then their revenue in a day...
No money no solution.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the kick ich and Rally's. followed instructions to a tee but first fish out of at into the system has ich. Letting him get over it as there's no way to get him out nor where to place him. Got two flames, a gold flake angel, pair of melanarus wrasse, 2 blotchy anthias and a chevron tang taking up my QT and Frag tanks so.. would love a viable option.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I have a friend who used to study fish in Emory university. Basically he said hobby related researches don't have much profit even if you make a big break through. 99% of the fish related research are commercial focused and funded by bi corporations.
The few hundreds and thousands bucks we spend every year is probably less then their revenue in a day...
No money no solution.

^^ This; PERFECTLY STATED.

The aquarium industry is beans compared to the aquafarming industry. Problem is, even if a "reef safe cure" was developed for Cryptocaryon (and other diseases) the FDA would never allow it to be used on fish meant for human consumption. So why bother even trying?

All of the solid intel we have on fish diseases comes from universities and research institutions, and they have little interest in finding a "reef safe treatment" for our home aquariums. They are primarily just interested in learning as much as they can about parasites and other "bugs"; and how those diseases impact fish in the wild. ;)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's always this new "reef safe" ich treatment that works so well, every month or so but they never pan out. It's because most things that kill small parasitic critters kill small critters in coral.

Interestingly, I have a pencil urchin and a large hermit crab that have survived high doses of prolonged copper exposure.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly, I have a pencil urchin and a large hermit crab that have survived high doses of prolonged copper exposure.

Just dont' make them angry. You wouldn't like them when they are angry :p

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dont' make them angry. You wouldn't like them when they are angry :p

Lol! I didn't know they were in there I found them after 60 days exposure and just left them. To the casual reader I in no way endorse doing this on purpose to any creature other than fish.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to believe. Not a shot at you jsker but that's equivalent to the cigarette rep telling me cigarettes won't kill me.

LOL so true, that is why I am hunting for a sample before I would say to use it[emoji6]

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still curious how something that works via oxidation will kill complex organisms like parasites but not kill simple organisms like bacteria.
@twilliard am I missing something?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still curious how something that works via oxidation will kill complex organisms like parasites but not kill simple organisms like bacteria.
@twilliard am I missing something?
There are so many unknown answers as to why this happens. Early on I noticed this event. It doesn't kill bacteria through simple testing while tank dosing. The biggest question I have found that is still not answered is ORP while tank dosing. I feel there is a connection between ORP and selectiveness of targets. While it may oxidize directly when applied it does not have the same result when added to a body of water. I feel this may not be answered for quite some time.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many unknown answers as to why this happens. Early on I noticed this event. It doesn't kill bacteria through simple testing while tank dosing. The biggest question I have found that is still not answered is ORP while tank dosing. I feel there is a connection between ORP and selectiveness of targets. While it may oxidize directly when applied it does not have the same result when added to a body of water. I feel this may not be answered for quite some time.
Thanks! I don't feel bad for not understanding now! :oops::D

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's always this new "reef safe" ich treatment that works so well, every month or so but they never pan out. It's because most things that kill small parasitic critters kill small critters in coral.

Yes, but I bet your crabs and urchin hate you. :eek:

We can cure ich just like we can keep ourselves relatively safe from bacteria diseases if we stay on antibiotics for the rest of our life. Of course that would cause all sorts of other problems.
When the hobby started we used to keep copper in our tanks continuously, and we had no ich. Our fish were never real healthy because the copper gave them other things. Eventually human doctors learned to allow us to use our own immune system to protect us from most diseases and eventually most people in this hobby will learn how to use the fishes immune system to protect them from ich. Many older hobbiests already learned about this.
Good luck and I hope your urchin starts talking to you. :rolleyes:

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the tank settle. Too much activity going on. I did that with a powder blue and brown. I let them fight it out and they both survived.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back