Will GFO remove fluconazole from my tank?

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With many of us using fluconazole to rid our tanks of algae could you give us input on whether running gfo would remove it from our tank water?

OP
OP
Ocean Lotion

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading your paper on gfo that was what I was thinking but wanted to be sure. That would explain why some reefers are reporting success while still running gfo. May I pass this on to the thread on fluconazole?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading your paper on gfo that was what I was thinking but wanted to be sure. That would explain why some reefers are reporting success while still running gfo. May I pass this on to the thread on fluconazole?

Sure. :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy how about good old gac and it would be handy if uv light could deact flucon

OP
OP
Ocean Lotion

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure carbon will remove it. I turned my gfo back on today since Randy believes it will not pull out the fluconazole.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ocean Lotion

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It suposedly wI'll not remove. But to error on the side of caution I would not run it for a week. Just my thought process.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It suposedly wI'll not remove. But to error on the side of caution I would not run it for a week. Just my thought process.

I am referring to running GFO to absorb P04. As the algae dies, lots of P04 will be in released and no water change should be done until the time period is up.

Is it recommended to run GFO to absorb the excess P04?

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im pretty sure the bottle for reef flux which is fluconazole says you can continue gfo but to turn carbon off until the 3 week period is done. I believe it says that carbon will remove whats left in the directions.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im pretty sure the bottle for reef flux which is fluconazole says you can continue gfo but to turn carbon off until the 3 week period is done. I believe it says that carbon will remove whats left in the directions.

Thanks for the reply.

So I will be running GFO then to absorb the excess P04.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

So I will be running GFO then to absorb the excess P04.
I am currently running reef flux to rid of gha as well but I don't run gfo. However one weird things is that most of the gha has died off and I never saw a po4 spike.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running reef flux to rid of gha as well but I don't run gfo. However one weird things is that most of the gha has died off and I never saw a po4 spike.

Interesting.... you running a fuge or algae scrubber which might have absorbed it?

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
neither, im just assuming my bacteria had something to do with it. I was dosing waste away at the same time so im thinking that bacteria helped keep it down. I have the Hannah checkers and tested 0 the whole time

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
neither, im just assuming my bacteria had something to do with it. I was dosing waste away at the same time so im thinking that bacteria helped keep it down. I have the Hannah checkers and tested 0 the whole time

Dr. Tim's stuff is good I have used it. Maybe I'll do this instead of GFO.

Did you toss the whole bottle of waste away in the tank or dose slowly?

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed the dosage instructions on the back which say to start with like 1/4 the dose. every few days I put just a little more than the first dose in every few days. I didn't really following the instructions as to how often just when I felt like it could help a little and keep the sludge down from the algae dieing off. seems to be working well.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed the dosage instructions on the back which say to start with like 1/4 the dose. every few days I put just a little more than the first dose in every few days. I didn't really following the instructions as to how often just when I felt like it could help a little and keep the sludge down from the algae dieing off. seems to be working well.

Awesome thanks for the help.

Overall did your treatment of fluconazole work? Any before and after pics?

WillH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran it successfully with everything running, GFO, UV, etc - but turning OFF my skimmer. Did treatment for minor amount of GHA over a two week period.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran it successfully with everything running, GFO, UV, etc - but turning OFF my skimmer. Did treatment for minor amount of GHA over a two week period.

Would it be alright to leave the skimmer running as long as it was not skimming.... more just for aeration of the water?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back