Working on a tank that is going to be eight feet deep!

TarHeelReefer22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys/gals,
So, this summer I am going to be working at an international aquarium and setting up a tank that is going to be eight feet deep and over 100,000 gallons! Most of this aquarium is exposed to natural light and it is a completely open system to the ocean. The back lets say more than half of the tank is covered and unused. So this is the main area that I will be working on and I wanted to get some opinions on lighting this area with artificial lighting. I will only be growing coral six feet deep or shallower so I was wanting to explore LEDs mainly because I am trying to make the aquarium more economical, and minimize bulb replacement. It will be exposed to abnormal conditions compared to our normal standards so waterproofing ideas are welcome as well! Thanks in advance and apologizes if this isn't the correct placement for this post!

OP
OP
TarHeelReefer22

TarHeelReefer22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquarium has a tight budget and am really trying to stay as economical as possible do you think that the MH are really my only option to gain growth par at this depth?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For cost, yup. For an 8' deep tank, theres not many choices left.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted on this one.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you could get super-leds customed for such an application?

And holy cowfish, that's big O.O

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cheap 100,000g tank? Mr SaltwaterTank has a video posted of a 100k tank with i think 30+ 1000wMH's! Its massive, and gov't funded! LED's are pretty limited. I wouldnt ever put them on any tank of mine.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were to use LEDs for an 8' deep tank, you'd need a truck load of them, and Im betting they'd have to be 30-50w LEDs (individual leds that high)

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about solatubes? I remember a lot of talk about those a couple years ago but I haven't heard anything lately.

OP
OP
TarHeelReefer22

TarHeelReefer22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about solatubes? I remember a lot of talk about those a couple years ago but I haven't heard anything lately.
This has my attention I will look into it, I just don't think that they will go for the increase in power bill that comes with MH. Again, this tank has been previously lit just from sunlight but there is also fabric limiting the intensity. It won't be solely lit by this artificial application just increase the par from the natural light that is currently sustaining coral survival. I am looking to make them more healthy!

OP
OP
TarHeelReefer22

TarHeelReefer22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that I will be able to work in MH into the budget I will just have to add them slowly and be patient. I have been looking at 1000w and 2000w fixtures and there seem to be some even larger I just don't know if I will need them. Also I am having troubles finding large volume equipment for sale anywhere! I would like to replace and implement some things like large reactors and things of this nature if anyone can point me in the right direction here as well it would be appreciated!

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a commercial grade skimmer on the Tampa Craigslist, would post the link but can't. I think they want $2000 for it

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man can't wait to see this tank get underway!

OP
OP
TarHeelReefer22

TarHeelReefer22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the options coming from ecoexotic I will be contacting them this week to make sure that they agree with the penetration I am also going to be adding two more 3 hp pumps to provide the reef with more flow and eliminate deterus

akitareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TarHeel there are some Leds out there on the market not quite on the aquarium side but on the hydroponic side which i've looked into you can get the same spectrum but they are equivalent to a 1000watt mh the only problem is the cost effiecency isnt there for awhile your looking at a big front end to recieve an extremly low end but the depth and par will be there do some research on 1000 watt equivalent grow leds its what i was looking at to use to do a custom build on a cylindrical 6 foot deep tank. The technology is out there but everything has its own cost.

OP
OP
TarHeelReefer22

TarHeelReefer22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave Tuesday morning so I will def be posting some pics once I get there and through out the process! I have been in contact with ecoexotic and they are confident that they can provide me with the lighting needed to support the endemic corals in the area. Thank you again on all the help and advice on this project!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back