World's 2nd deadliest poison, in an aquarium store near you!

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to go about this is just be safe and cautious with it. I cut them all the time and have only had one time where I was poisoned and it was my fault for not wearing gloves thinking I had done it a hundred times and was safe. So just wear gloves, glasses, and clean everything when you're done.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to go about this is just be safe and cautious with it. I cut them all the time and have only had one time where I was poisoned and it was my fault for not wearing gloves thinking I had done it a hundred times and was safe. So just wear gloves, glasses, and clean everything when you're done.

trahelyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, when I fragged a huge colony in my tank I got a metallic taste in my mouth and my heart was beating much faster after. I still dont use gloves but I completely eradicated them in my tank(ended up just getting rid of the rock all together)

That's pretty much the approach I've taken up. I really don't want anything in the tank that could conceivably kill me. As much as I love the hobby, there just isn't any coral or fish worth the risk to me. But I do still admire them in others' tanks.

Jpmumaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this an old thread but I was doing some research since I don't know enough yet and honestly kinda scary considering I want my kids to be involved in the tank with me! Guess that's kinda outta the question now about all they can do it look at the tank now. Not worth taking the chance. Considering most places you buy coral have a zoa or paly in the same tank is there a chance the toxin could be on the other corals? Simply from water transfer?

LegitFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this an old thread but I was doing some research since I don't know enough yet and honestly kinda scary considering I want my kids to be involved in the tank with me! Guess that's kinda outta the question now about all they can do it look at the tank now. Not worth taking the chance. Considering most places you buy coral have a zoa or paly in the same tank is there a chance the toxin could be on the other corals? Simply from water transfer?

In my experience this shouldn't be an issue. I believe the only time you would encounter a real issue is direct exposure to an open wound, or slight skin irritation if there is no open wound with direct polyp to skin contact. I think now a days we have options like Benidril or skin ointment that can prevent any infections. One issue I have come across is if spouse are inhaled once the polyps are dried. At a store I worked at we dried some egg crates that had overgrown polyps in them. We then brushed the dried polyps off, and it made a dust in the air. That night, we all had flu like symptoms. The next day tho, it was pretty much gone. I think as long as you don't dry polyps, or come into direct contact with an open wound, you should be ok.

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice read up. My hands reacted badly before to a paly and had a rash for over 3 weeks all over my hands. Lesson learned i wear gloves now.

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use medical grade gloves, an N95 mask, and goggles. whenever handling anything in the DT. I spoke with a toxicologist at a major tertiary care center near me about Palytoxin. The answer was and I quote,

"We do have treatment protocols in place but there is no antidote known, it's all supportive care. If you intake enough we would be glad to make you comfortable while your body takes a ride through the 7 levels of hell."

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the toxin is released when introducing new one to the tank or rearranging anything, can it cause harm to other livestock? other corals, fish, inverts...

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use medical grade gloves, an N95 mask, and goggles. whenever handling anything in the DT. I spoke with a toxicologist at a major tertiary care center near me about Palytoxin. The answer was and I quote,

"We do have treatment protocols in place but there is no antidote known, it's all supportive care. If you intake enough we would be glad to make you comfortable while your body takes a ride through the 7 levels of hell."

I've only had minor experiences with palytoxin poisoning, and don't want to think about dying from a fatal dose. Always a great quote to read before cutting some P. grandis (;

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just changed my mind about adding soft corals to my tank. Now I want to get rid of the little frag I have in there. It is brown colored. If I remove it and keep it in water to dispose of is that the best way?

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gloves are not needed at all:
7-16-09a-.jpg

7-16-09a-.jpg

Gross. I'll probably be a victim to it one day cause I always get too lazy to be safe. Probably should start suiting up after seeing those pics!

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people on here are saying it's "slim to none" getting sick on zoas, apparently not if you listen to other people on here. I think I'll just stear clear

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your skin is intact there is less chance of it getting in unless you touch it. My hands usually have small nicks on them though. So gloves it is.

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the toxin is released when introducing new one to the tank or rearranging anything, can it cause harm to other livestock? other corals, fish, inverts...
I have never experienced any harm to other corals from this. You can see mucus come from them if you have touched them before going in.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your telling me I can't make a nice garden salad with some zoas sprinkle on top. With some good home made dressing. Have been eating them for years and nothing has happened to me

tangerine3486

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did more research on limu-make-o-Hana. After living in Hawaii we have come to call them pillow zoas. I have some in my tank right now! I fragged these from a tide pool on Oahu and brought back to the mainland. They are growing well and I was thinking about trying to frag soon!

of5hlWMieV35EudqxUoJM2ISR4OVE6MwJ8NsFoNwjz-GxRK_RglQkWoHqfoHKu12pXRDAiRx4JZOainNS7aEUEM-CM69z5kwNDCJ8oOkLSFR0wrBLgqCk-dfrvLZynVEBIwimH03tp8MJSC5bvorcxG-90fvqZ1q52Nil7YmF4wZEh3w8j14tumoPL1JTQcRtAyjfygsBq6gC3blLHm0ZktxR49N6cQoqz1SOa1euepbzEUckNHnvfKmq3YrGpEB8jx_QczSOifS8XezLb-fFVOfdyYB69JVjSSjGwmxx8O1vy-ZKObJwM_uAUUBdkZMiZh463AoB2NAOjLrpxY0NkDXOS7LlOxTL9EptipcjCoN4RXBQ2NC7ikKiC1YkIYVSLSjjj6mqHQ00kGr867mkmzTLzkDOxmZgycpNRd3GOIsL4n-ldUtW4J84Iqxi0_l8A2DOcf1j8UenYmIiVQ2gcbgfcbE0Dw5fHEasVFngrnoP3RUixtQCmfKNqz8MlcqLUw2tDtkthR3nY0maSDXKBibNBBxDrIdoyZHACPAfWpgVXkrMqKjxeKUuuAIRavAGfau5WZnvM7-vZADsyeFxjUE0ZC8uGJ6B5Yv39n-2QYFv_It8OTpRaHXtU4P4GwyFpAPwea1TBsusX3-BOqSkkI-EeeoWgDNva4=w2002-h1334-no

Back