Would a ReefBreeders light be overkill?

xilez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Currently I am running a Marine Orbit base model on a Mr AQUA 12 long tank (9 inches deep). I love the controller, the colors, and the sleek way it can sit on the rim of the tank. Was planning to upgrade to the pro version, to better handle SPS, but was wondering if I should just use this opportunity to invest in a light would also be able to be used in the future.

Hanging is currently not an option (apartment + girlfriend), which is why I like that the RB can still sit on the rim of the tank... When looking at the part values, I notice it can some pretty high PAR numbers...I assume these are taken at full blast.

Would it be worth it to invest in one these even though it be running at 20-50% (just guessing here), or should I just grab the Orbit marine pro because it would still give me PAR ranges 250-400 where my SPS are located...

Thoughts?

OP
OP
X

xilez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thats the thing..is worth $600 for a light I will be running less than 50%? Is there a better option for less...with the Orbit Marine Pro, I could atleast run blues at 100% and whites 20-40%

Hentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take my advice.... Do not get an Orbit Marine Pro... While its not a terrible light, Reefbreeders shoots it out of the water.

I ran two 24" Reefbreeder Photon V1's over my 75 Gallon tank. I literally grew SPS everywhere with significant growth.
It doesn't matter if you're running them at 20% or at 100%. The light will still out perform the OMP dramatically. I ran mine at 80% Blue and 40% White.

People buy Radion Pro's for $800 a pop and run them at 50-60%. IMO, a light is one of the things you truly want to invest in.
Your corals and yourself will be very thankful you made the wise investment. I get your thought on not spending the extra buck on a light that you won't even use to its full advantage, but only a few people in this hobby do actually use the LED lights available to its full advantage. IMO LED's aren't meant to be ran at 100% unless your tank requires that much intensity or you hung the light incredibly high or whatever the variable is. It'll fry your corals. But I believe they're meant to give off the needed intensity and PAR while allowing you to adjust the spectrum and maximize your growth and coloration.

These pictures are 3 months apart from eachother. If I would have had the knowledge in SPS I have now along with keeping water parameters much more stable and feeding the tank (tank was quite low in nutrients), I could only imagine how much better growth and color I would've had.

Here is an acro I put in the tank. The picture on the left is the day I put it in.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, in a 9" deep tank your current light will grow corals just fine. Consider keeping it.

If you wanted to do clams, which require AND tolerate more light than corals, then I'd add a second Orbit (base model) strip or proceed with the upgrade.

If you upgrade, I would at least look at the Orbit IC. While the Pro has more power and is also a good option, you don't really need the power and the IC has better coverage and some cooler features.

And my advice is to buy the light for this tank and if you upgrade later, buy a light for that tank.

OP
OP
X

xilez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you compare the Reefbredders with an SB Reef Light? While I like the idea of buy a light for this tank, buy a light for the next tank... for the same price as orbit marine pro, i can get an SB reef light. Thoughts?

OP
OP
X

xilez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atleast 2 years. Its more of an investment into the future

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just my opinion, but when your current fixture would probably work and your new tank is that far out in time, I really wouldn't buy for the next tank. Way too much time for things to change in every way.

Buy for this tank, and even just consider supplementing the light that's on there.

For example, a TrueLumen Pro strip or one of Tunze's sweet submersible lights would be a bargain and seriously boost the light in this tank.

Use the ramping on your current fixture for sunrise/sunset effects and kick on the second fixture for a few (to several) peak hours during the day.

Tunze's LED full spectrum is $145, and their 6500K and 50:50 models are only $70:
csm_8811.000_755012cee8.jpg

csm_8821.000_e3faa84121.jpg

csm_8850.000_ca4fc52250.jpg

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are not an investment. Technology is changing rapidly, two years from now you'll want what ever new cool light is on the market.

Full spectrum 165watt off eBay for under $100 would be way overkill (my choice).....just doesn't have the fancy stuff.....on/off.

OP
OP
X

xilez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mcarroll Thanks for all the input so far. After more research, I am between the SB Reef Light 32 Timer and a Orbit Marine Pro...they are essentially the same price. Assuming the SB 32 sits 12 inches above the tank, there should be plenty of light hitting the edges of my Mr Aqua 12L correct? While I love the idea of the Orbit Pro, I would hate to regret the light not being strong enough when the SB light is the same price.. Such a tough decision, I dont want to make the wrong one!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a 9" deep tank.

You could light a tank that deep with quality T12 fluorescents. ;)

Intensity is not going to be an issue.

I think you know what I'd do, but you still have to go with what your gut says! :)

OP
OP
X

xilez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really like the idea of the submersible one...if you had to choose between the Orbit Pro or the SB Reef, which would you pick?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really like the idea of the submersible one...if you had to choose between the Orbit Pro or the SB Reef, which would you pick?

I was mostly referring to keeping the existing light and supplementing it with whatever you choose. Could be a T5, an Orbit Pro strip, a smaller Orbit or TrueLumen strip, etc, etc. :)

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much time and energy gets put into lighting. In my opinion this is because of marketing. Every company has a slightly different angle or gimmick which I find very confusing. Coral can be grown by compact fluorescents....though brown. Keep in mind, it's only natural to want to upgrade your lights in two to three years......because of the marketing of new tech. @mcarroll has a really reasonable approach here.

OP
OP
X

xilez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much time and energy gets put into lighting. In my opinion this is because of marketing. Every company has a slightly different angle or gimmick which I find very confusing. Coral can be grown by compact fluorescents....though brown. Keep in mind, it's only natural to want to upgrade your lights in two to three years......because of the marketing of new tech.
WOW. Truth.

oh btw they look brown to eye, put them back under reef light they look normal.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back