Would a ReefBreeders light be overkill?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really like the idea of the submersible one...if you had to choose between the Orbit Pro or the SB Reef, which would you pick?

BTW, not to say you have to like them, but submersible is neat for a few reasons:
  • reduces load on your heaters – might even be enough to eliminate the load while the lights are on
  • lights can be hidden behind the rim of the tank
  • eliminates waste-light getting into your room
  • makes LED's run cooler, which should extend their life vs similar LED's run in air and might even help them to run a little brighter (The 8850 is specifically engineered to take advantage of this cooling effect.)
  • eliminates reflection of light off the water surface, which is at least a 10% bonus to intensity
  • eliminates light loss due to the usual air-gap that's in between the water and light
    • just cutting this distance in half will double the light going into your water....imagine cutting it to zero. :)
    • this can be a huge bonus to intensity vs the same amount of light run in air even just a few inches over the tank.
So, it's an unconventional option, but one with a lot of unconventional benefits too.

I think it's a worthy option! :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a truelumen strip (I assume the accintic blue) add a good bit of par numbers? According to this: http://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Orbit_Marine_Light_Specifications.pdf SPS at the top of my rocks with the risers SPS will only be recieving 150 PAR max

150 PAR is what your existing fixture puts out at about that level.

Add an Orbit Pro, for example, and you will have spots in the combined coverage that would be around 500 PAR.

Three 12" TrueLumen Pro strips would seem to cost around $40 each.....three for $120 or four for $160.

I think I'd check the space you have and consider four TrueLumen Pro's if they will fit.

And there's nothing wrong with running the big Reef Breeder's fixture if you still want to – just don't buy it thinking about the next tank. Buy it because you think it's the best light for this tank. (Or not.)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you had to choose between the Orbit Pro or the SB Reef, which would you pick?

Tough call. But I think I like the Orbit with the tighter lenses – more efficient use of the light/less waste from reflection and light-spill. I've never been a fan of the shoebox lights like the SB, but that doesn't mean it's a bad option. :)

OP
OP
X

xilez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 PAR is what your existing fixture puts out at about that level.

Add an Orbit Pro, for example, and you will have spots in the combined coverage that would be around 500 PAR.

Three 12" TrueLumen Pro strips would seem to cost around $40 each.....three for $120 or four for $160.

I think I'd check the space you have and consider four TrueLumen Pro's if they will fit.

And there's nothing wrong with running the big Reef Breeder's fixture if you still want to – just don't buy it thinking about the next tank. Buy it because you think it's the best light for this tank. (Or not.)

How would I mount these Truelumens? Zip tie them to the current fixture? Have you been able to find PAR output numbers from them?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back