Wrasse Retreat 2.0: Evolved's 270g Peninsula

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I know that some were a bit astounded and jaws dropped at the cost in the whole stand. Having learned a bit with each tank I have set up I was determined to plan and execute a stand that put function first but still looked great.

Thanks! The Tomini was really added long ago simply as a working fish. I tend to usually look right past him; ha! :rolleyes:
Oh cool! For algae control?

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precisely ;)
Tangs sure do love their Algae. My Blue Hippo attacks the green algae sheets like crazy when they drop in the tank...he and the Salfin drag the clip all through the sand bed and attack it like it's trying to steal their gold or something. :p

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the Titan reactor? Is it able to tumble GFO?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is looking great so far!

I really need to figure out how to get nice fts shots of my tank, everytime I use my dslr the glass always appears to have a "haze" on it.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the Titan reactor? Is it able to tumble GFO?
They're great; quite pleased with them. Yes, they tumble GFO quite well; much better than I was ever able to achieve with a good 'ol phosban reactor in the past.
Everything is looking great so far!

I really need to figure out how to get nice fts shots of my tank, everytime I use my dslr the glass always appears to have a "haze" on it.
:) Thanks George!
Acrylic does have a few advantages there.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really hate to talk about what's in QT, and doing such generally breaks my superstitions of talking about fish before they're happily in the DT.

But in the spirit of keeping this thread interesting, currently in the lab:
C. earlei
C. rhomboidalis
P. piscilineatus
L. klayi
L. carmabi

And it seems I should be do for some pictures again soon. Maybe I'll focus on the lab this time? ;)

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really hate to talk about what's in QT, and doing such generally breaks my superstitions of talking about fish before they're happily in the DT.

C. earlei
C. rhomboidalis
P. piscilineatus
L. klayi
L. carmabi

And it seems I should be do for some pictures again soon. Maybe I'll focus on the lab this time? ;)
Oh my god, what a list :D :O we can't get l. Carmabi in Australia and they're my dream fish!

I have to say you're most definitely my number one inspiration for my tank stock list as it somehow ended up being very heavily wrasse dominated! Lol just reading your posts and your knowledge is awesome!
Just my little fan boy rant for you ;)

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! Any suggestions of which type of wrasse would work well in a 60 gal?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

C. earlei
C. rhomboidalis
P. piscilineatus
L. klayi
L. carmabi

I highly approve of this list. Especially the Lipogramma and Liopropoma.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my god, what a list :D :O we can't get l. Carmabi in Australia and they're my dream fish!

I have to say you're most definitely my number one inspiration for my tank stock list as it somehow ended up being very heavily wrasse dominated! Lol just reading your posts and your knowledge is awesome!
Just my little fan boy rant for you ;)
Thank you kindly and truly my pleasure!
Yes Please! :)
Ok. ;)
Beautiful tank! Any suggestions of which type of wrasse would work well in a 60 gal?
Thank you!
Here's a good starting place: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/
Assuming it's a 60 cube, stick to species which do not exceed 3" as an adult. There's several dozen different species that would fit the bill.
I highly approve of this list. Especially the Lipogramma and Liopropoma.
Thanks TJ. :) I have those two together in a 10g QT, and it's kind of fun how they interact together. I was expecting them to keep some distance and was a bit concerned about them not tolerating each other, but the klayi tends to stay at the flanks of the carmabi.
I was tried to be talked into L. evides as well, but I just don't find the appeal with the species. And I feel a bit silly putting a tiny klayi into a big tank, but meh. :D

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you kindly and truly my pleasure!

Ok. ;)

Thank you!
Here's a good starting place: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/
Assuming it's a 60 cube, stick to species which do not exceed 3" as an adult. There's several dozen different species that would fit the bill.

Thanks TJ. :) I have those two together in a 10g QT, and it's kind of fun how they interact together. I was expecting them to keep some distance and was a bit concerned about them not tolerating each other, but the klayi tends to stay at the flanks of the carmabi.
I was tried to be talked into L. evides as well, but I just don't find the appeal with the species. And I feel a bit silly putting a tiny klayi into a big tank, but meh. :D
That's a shame you didn't go with the evides, I personally prefer them to the klayi, but I will have to settle for a Chrysiptera tricincta to get that jailbird look.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a shame you didn't go with the evides, I personally prefer them to the klayi, but I will have to settle for a Chrysiptera tricincta to get that jailbird look.
I am certain the average viewer would have not seen any difference between evides and my B&W ocellaris pair. And considering the price point, I wasn't sure I wanted to cringe that hard each time it happened. :p

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll share a couple stories of QT woes since I've had the tank setup.

Back in September I had 3 fish in QT; I had mentioned as much somewhere along the line. They were a rhomboidalis, rubricaudalis, and a carmabi. All were doing great and I was on to week 3 of QT, when suddenly they all went from alive and fine one morning to all dead within 8 hours, with weird red streaks. Some sort of gram negative infection. :( I loose very few fish in QT, so this was a bit depressing.

My next endeavor was trying a group of 6 Clepticus parrae. They came in just fine, but were tiny; all 1.5" or so. I found right away that they needed a lot of flow, otherwise they stayed pretty spooked and would not eat. Being so small, they were difficult to offer food to, as fish eggs and ova were about the only thing I had that was small enough for them. Ultimately, I simply couldn't feed them enough, often enough. Slowly I lost them one by one on weeks 4-6 of QT. I managed to get two to the DT, but one died in the acclimation box (was already weak) and the sole survivor was released - to never be seen again. If I were to try again with them, I would definitely start with larger specimens, as I feel I would have had a fair shot had they been large enough to offer more foods to.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll share a couple stories of QT woes since I've had the tank setup.

Back in September I had 3 fish in QT; I had mentioned as much somewhere along the line. They were a rhomboidalis, rubricaudalis, and a carmabi. All were doing great and I was on to week 3 of QT, when suddenly they all went from alive and fine one morning to all dead within 8 hours, with weird red streaks. Some sort of gram negative infection. :( I loose very few fish in QT, so this was a bit depressing.

My next endeavor was trying a group of 6 Clepticus parrae. They came in just fine, but were tiny; all 1.5" or so. I found right away that they needed a lot of flow, otherwise they stayed pretty spooked and would not eat. Being so small, they were difficult to offer food to, as fish eggs and ova were about the only thing I had that was small enough for them. Ultimately, I simply couldn't feed them enough, often enough. Slowly I lost them one by one on weeks 4-6 of QT. I managed to get two to the DT, but one died in the acclimation box (was already weak) and the sole survivor was released - to never be seen again. If I were to try again with them, I would definitely start with larger specimens, as I feel I would have had a fair shot had they been large enough to offer more foods to.

Man Hunter. Those are sad stories. :( I'm sorry for your losses.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading those tales, I can understand your superstition about not wanting to talk about who's in QT until they're safely in the DT! Still . . . wouldn't mind that peek into "the lab". I like seeing how folks handle stuff "behind the scenes", and sometimes incorporate things they do into the things I do . . .

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, sorry to hear about the C. parraes. I was really hoping for a success story with those guys.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man Hunter. Those are sad stories. :( I'm sorry for your losses.
The first story sucked; plain and simple.
The second I took on as a known challenge. Long term success with C. parrae is pretty much zilch. At least I can say I see where a lot of people go wrong with them now.
Thank you for sharing. :(
Of course; it can't all be smooth sailing.
Reading those tales, I can understand your superstition about not wanting to talk about who's in QT until they're safely in the DT! Still . . . wouldn't mind that peek into "the lab". I like seeing how folks handle stuff "behind the scenes", and sometimes incorporate things they do into the things I do . . .

~Bruce
Thanks! Yes, I will do such. We all can learn from another, and it makes us all better ultimately.
Dang, sorry to hear about the C. parraes. I was really hoping for a success story with those guys.
Me too, and I think I understand what it takes now. But tiny ones really stack the deck against you.
They just definitely need flow and food, and food, and food. I don't think there's much else to it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 51 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back