Wrasses in Bare Bottom Tank

reefjunky24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys was looking into getting a wrasse for my tank it is 48 x 24 x 24, Bare Bottom, was looking at a wrasse to eat up some of the pesky critters in the tank, wondering what your thoughts would be, i see some require a layer of sand specifically the Melanurus Fairy Wrasse, was looking at this one but concenred without the sand it may not work, does anyone have any experience with them or any other ones that would work just as well?

Thanks

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys was looking into getting a wrasse for my tank it is 48 x 24 x 24, Bare Bottom, was looking at a wrasse to eat up some of the pesky critters in the tank, wondering what your thoughts would be, i see some require a layer of sand specifically the Melanurus Fairy Wrasse, was looking at this one but concenred without the sand it may not work, does anyone have any experience with them or any other ones that would work just as well?

Thanks
Melanarus wrasse is part of Halichoeres family and not the Cirrhilabrus (Fairy) wrasse family. the Cirrhilabrus wrasse family can be housed on a BB tank since they form a cocoon of slime when they sleep. I'm not really sure about the Halichoeres wrasse family. I think they need sand to bury themselves when they sleep. unfortunately, I have no experience with the Halichoeres wrasse family.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All genera of wrasses with are active hunters unfortunately require a sandbed. The Halichoeres genus is no exception (Halichoeres melanurus). Some people have kept them in bare-bottom tanks, but this will have a long term effect on the stress level of the fish.

The genera which don't require a sandbed are Cirrhilabrus (fairy) and Paracheilinus (flasher), but neither of those will actively hunt/pick off little critters.

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DSB, so it's not a problem for me, but I do use a Glad container with some sugar size sand in my QT for them. Could you incorporate a container somewhere in your rock work?

WrasseQT.jpg

OP
OP
reefjunky24

reefjunky24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't see a reason why i can't put a tuperware or something in the tank i had one in there before so I am sure it could work, about how deep do you think the sand would need to be would maybe 2 or 3 inch in a tuperware would work?

Thanks for the info guys would rather make sure before i purchase something and have an issue and lose it do to me not knowing better.

Thanks

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't see a reason why i can't put a tuperware or something in the tank i had one in there before so I am sure it could work, about how deep do you think the sand would need to be would maybe 2 or 3 inch in a tuperware would work?

Thanks for the info guys would rather make sure before i purchase something and have an issue and lose it do to me not knowing better.

Thanks
maybe you can hide the container with sand behind the rockwork so you don't see it. :)

Alex27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might be able to use a 6 line wrasse for your purposes. Out of all the wrasses I've kept, i've never seen the sixline use the sand bed.

OP
OP
reefjunky24

reefjunky24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe you can hide the container with sand behind the rockwork so you don't see it. :)

That is what i was thinking maybe a dish that is 6 x 12 only 2 - 3 inch high and move some rock around it so you can't see it and block it a little from the power heads so sand doesn't get blown around too much.

Alex i thought about a six line wrasse well and if i can't figure something out i may go that way, wonder if i could put both in....

OP
OP
reefjunky24

reefjunky24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i am going to put a layer of sand in a dish could i get a multiple kinds of wrasses or will they fight, i was also looking at the leopord wrasse and the Melanurus

sportzfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a melanaurus wrasse in a tank with just a slight dusting of sand (not anywhere near enough to cover its body completely) and it has thrived in this environment for at least 1 year. I think the fish just manage to adapt to their surroundings. I have also had other halichoeres wrasses in there as well with no issue.

Alex27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One persons experience may not be another's . I can only tell you that in a 200DD tank I had a mystery, melanarus and six line with out any problems

OP
OP
reefjunky24

reefjunky24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stay far, far away from any Pseudocheilinus wrasse (sixline is in this genus).

2" of sand is plenty in a container.

I have had a six line before and also had the pseudocheilinus as well before and won't go back to them if i don't have too

OP
OP
reefjunky24

reefjunky24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a melanaurus wrasse in a tank with just a slight dusting of sand (not anywhere near enough to cover its body completely) and it has thrived in this environment for at least 1 year. I think the fish just manage to adapt to their surroundings. I have also had other halichoeres wrasses in there as well with no issue.

interesting, but i still would have to do some thing with sand as i have non so maybe it would just go with a dish would be the best way.

OP
OP
reefjunky24

reefjunky24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One persons experience may not be another's . I can only tell you that in a 200DD tank I had a mystery, melanarus and six line with out any problems

that is good to know, i feel i have enough room for 2 just don't want to kill one cause they don't get along all i have in the tank currently is a clownfish that is it, and it was more or less cause my nieces talked me into it....lol

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i am going to put a layer of sand in a dish could i get a multiple kinds of wrasses or will they fight, i was also looking at the leopord wrasse and the Melanurus
You can mix those two genera, but you might want to read up on the care leopards need. A rather delicate genus.

You may find this useful: All About Reef Safe Wrasses - 3reef Forums

Indeed on your first point. However, I can assure you your results were not typical. YMMV

Last edited:

Alex27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix genera, but you might want to read up on the care leopards need. A rather delicate genus.

You may find this useful: All About Reef Safe Wrasses - 3reef Forums

Indeed on your first point. However, I can assure you your results were not typical. YMMV

I am not here to argue wether my experience is typical or not. I'm simply here to enjoy the boards. I'm sure you will find many people here doing things that shouldn't be done or things that by many are not the norm. But that's what makes this hobby great, that we can all learn from someone else's experience.

Alex27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back