XR30 enough spread for fusion 30l?

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, debating fixtures. Really like the Radions, xr30 gen 2 (my price range, second hand) also like the r420r (160w pretty common second hand). Will the xr30 offer enough spread, is one better for the job than the other? I plan on growing coral, edge to edge(not sure what kind, very new to reefing). Thanks in advance guys.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if it's a long, skinny tank. To get light to the ends, you'd have to suspend the Radion very high over the tank. In doing so, you end up lighting up more of the room than the tank due to all the light "spilling" over the front and back of the tank.

Two or three of them side by side would do much better....or a differnt light more designed for that shape of tank....or DIY. ;)

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the IM Fusion 40 and the xr 30 gen 3 pro and it is fine for that tank. But yours is 36" and I would be too wide for the xr 30. If you like the radion and I do.:) I would try to find two used xr 15's They are easy to find for sale. That would let you get a more even spread.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the major difference between xr15 and 30?

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I could google it, but if you know off the top of your head that would be nice

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be acceptable to use a xr15 and a 30? Or is that not efficient, or to different?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Gen1 120° optics suspended 11"on my 40B 36" and am getting great coverage.
624f4e0ac62f6a5c5efd67f43686e2bc.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Gen1 120° optics suspended 11"on my 40B 36" and am getting great coverage.
624f4e0ac62f6a5c5efd67f43686e2bc.jpg

@NanaReefer sorry for making an example of you... ;)

See all that light hitting the wall in back of the tank? There is another bright spot on the floor right in front of the tank too.

That's wasted light. Efficiency is the #1, #2 and #3 reasons why I switched to LED, so why start off wasting light every time with a less than optimal setup?

What's worse, to me at least, is that it grows more algae on the glass and it's annoying!

This is a good illustration of why that lamp is not a great fit for a long tank, but it can be made to work.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it offers to much light spread? Where as the r420r is more directed?

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An example of me? You're funny! I don't care what light you hang on your tank, you will always have spillage front to back. Unless the light is sitting directly on top of your tank. Plus the optics you're using.
Also my light is hanging 11" if I were to lower it the spillage would lessen. I'm currently in the process of acclimation.
Here is my 27" long 120° optics unit hung at 11" also. So it matters not at all. But it would if I had say 90° optics.
As for algae? Never never have I had an issue with it on my glass.
f3a3f6ed67f2ddd18c7194c6447e943c.jpg

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@NanaReefer sorry for making an example of you... ;)

See all that light hitting the wall in back of the tank? There is another bright spot on the floor right in front of the tank too.

That's wasted light. Efficiency is the #1, #2 and #3 reasons why I switched to LED, so why start off wasting light every time with a less than optimal setup?

What's worse, to me at least, is that it grows more algae on the glass and it's annoying!

This is a good illustration of why that lamp is not a great fit for a long tank, but it can be made to work.

You know, some hobbyist's are just that, a hobbyist.
They don't need to analyze every little detail.

It's about having fun and enjoying the saltwater environment they create in their homes.

A phrase like light spillage is kind of stupid if you ask me.
So what if some light isn't focused straight down.

Then, picking someones tank out and pointing out what you think is wrong about it, well that's just,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what's stupid...

The issue is a combo of having the really wide spread lenses and having the emitters packed so close to each other...means you have to mount the light quite a bit higher than you otherwise would.

The Razor has the emitters spaced out more to account for a longer tank, but the lenses are still pretty wide....so I think you'll spill less light, but not none.

I've got the 27" on my 50 Breeder (same footprint as your, slightly taller) and I've got a "less spill" going on thanks to the 90° lenses, but I've still got it.

My DIY fixture on my 36 x 12" tank, for contrast, spills no light outside the tank and barely even lights up the glass.

I scrape algae off the glass around once a year on the DIY tank and as often as monthly on the Razor tank.

The DIY is far more efficient AND makes me work less. Cheap and lazy! Can't beat that combo. ;)

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be so quick to personalize...we're talking about equipment - nobody's personal life - and the detail is important. :)

I (like most everyone else) have the same issue with my lights.... @NanaReefer had just posted a perfect pic to illustrate the point....luck of the draw.

So we could all have more perfect lights...hope that's not surprising. ;)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An illustration may have been better, but that's homework for me....have time now, but the pic was handy. Sorry it was distracting.

This should be more clear anyway. When you're lighting a tank (or anything, in fact) it pays to put some attention on the shape of what you're lighting.

Here I'm using a rectangular tank just for example. That's no optical illusion - there's a big difference in waste light. Maybe someone with a degree in math can tell me what % waste that is?
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 1.19.38 AM.png

The same thing would be true in the other direction if I used a square-tank: 120º lenses would give the most efficient coverage and my DIY would be wasting all the light.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'll say it one more time, it's a hobby and many of us buy products to use, and if they are what they are advertised, they work.
If analyzing every detail of your tank is part of the hobby you enjoy, that's fine , for you, and the others that do it too.
But don't apply that to others and then call them out on it when they don't meet your standards.

I have 4 gen 3 Radions with wide angle lens installed on my 233. I have the 2 fixtures on the ends of the tank sitting 9" on center from the ends of the tank and there is no little circle of light on the floor. So I really don't know what you are talking about.
And I don't really care.

I'm sure you will find something wrong with this as well.
I think it may be because I'm not using Razor.

When you tag someone here and they get the notification, you are making it personal.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
To the op, I apologize if this is taking your thread off track.

You asked a question and a couple different people gave you their opinions.

Good luck with your search for a good light for your tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back