Yasha gobies and other burrowing gobies

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added two yasha gobies to my DT the other day and I spotted one exit their cave which the entrance looks tiny, can they burrow themselves out their cave if sand builds up at the entrance? I'm just concerned in case they get buried alive :(

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will check with my daughter @VKP01 (she has one), but I think I remember her saying they can not dig their own holes, they need the pistol shrimp to dig for them.

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added two yasha gobies to my DT the other day and I spotted one exit their cave which the entrance looks tiny, can they burrow themselves out their cave if sand builds up at the entrance? I'm just concerned in case they get buried alive :(
Well I don't know if I'll be much help but I'll try.
I have a Randall's goby and pistol shrimp. At the moment the goby is in QT and the shrimp is in my DT.
That being said the shrimp and the goby pair up usually and the shrimp is the one that moves the sand for the gobies to get in and out of their cave.
I would think the gobies should find a way out. I've seen my goby move his back fin to shift the sand and get under his cave in QT. So your gobies could possibly do just that.
But yes the sand could cover their cave but your gobies could use their back fins to move the sand. I'm not too sure though since I don't have any experience with yasha gobies but I would assume they would be like Randall's gobies.
I hope someone gives you more information and your gobies turn out to be just fine in their cave!
Also if you ever consider a pistol shrimp they should all pair up. Pistol shrimps are pretty cool but sometimes can be a pain..

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can unbury themselves. Though it is the shrimp that digs and maintains the burrow, the various watchman gobies are all capable of burying and unburying themselves.

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool great thanks guys, I won't go syphoning the hole clear as it looks pretty small to me. I will get a Randall's shrimp (Alpheus Randalli) once my lfs gets me one. :)

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool great thanks guys, I won't go syphoning the hole clear as it looks pretty small to me. I will get a Randall's shrimp (Alpheus Randalli) once my lfs gets me one. :)
You're very welcome, I'm glad others could help also.
And yeah I would just leave their cave alone for now, they'll work it out themselves.
But that's great! I know they'll love the shrimp. The only thing about the shrimp that I don't like is that I hardly see him lol and I know that's not a big issue like other things they do but I just want to make sure he's ok! But yeah they also dig, a lot. So hopefully you're ok with that and sand going everywhere.
Other than that I just think they are the coolest creatures!

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't mind, my wrasse kick up a sand storm when they go in the sand or looking for food :) I dobt mind that as I get to watch symobolic pairs in action every now and then! All I'll need to do is secure some frags as I've heard they like to use them for their dens :)

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't mind, my wrasse kick up a sand storm when they go in the sand or looking for food :) I dobt mind that as I get to watch symobolic pairs in action every now and then! All I'll need to do is secure some frags as I've heard they like to use them for their dens :)
Great! And yeah I can't wait to put my goby in my DT with the shrimp!:D
And yeah most definitely! Because mine flipped my mushroom over that was on the sand bed but luckily he didn't move it lol. I'll add some pics of his work in my tank.:p

In the first one it's kinda hard to tell but he just has sand piled up in one spot. And all in the back. But also luckily he's really quite! Because some can be really loud at night.

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha I look forward to getting my pistol shrimp too :)

I see one swimming around which i think is different to the one I see in her cave, so hopefully they are both ok

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair that use a half dozen entrances to their home under the rock. Every night the shrimp closes up each hole. I watched one night and all holes got closed up with the watchman still outside. He freaked out for a few minutes then basically put his nose to the sand at one entrance and swam through the sand. No problem. Shrimp them closed that entrance again. Very cool behavior.

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no sign of one of my gobies :( I've heard they can be shy and disappear when moved to a new tank so I'm hoping it's just that! The male I saw earlier chilling against the glass when I feed the tank eating frozen mysis as it floated past, so just waiting to see the female again. My tanks fully secure including the overflow which I still checked including th sump.

Come on little girl make an appearance :)

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both came out today for feeding, ate and then attached themselves side by side on the glass near the top of the tank, breathing fine, no marks, healthy etc similar to how clown gobies attach themselves to the glass. I've read that other people have experienced the same thing with yasha gobies when added to a new tank, has anyone else experienced this?

I'm also contemplating getting two Amblyeleotris randalli (yellow prawn goby) or maybe some yellow watchman gobies.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss having a Gobie and Pistol.. Time to get one again.

Fun thread.

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all the small fish I find them more interesting.

Today they were in the rock work, and I picked up a small Randall's pistol shrimp for them too :) he's drip acclimating at the moment.

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all the small fish I find them more interesting.

Today they were in the rock work, and I picked up a small Randall's pistol shrimp for them too :) he's drip acclimating at the moment.
I'm glad your gobies ended up being ok! And yeah they should love the shrimp.:D

Willragan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the tank in question and i have the coolest natural tunnel in the rock that id like to find a fish to occupy. Tankmates are 3 erectus seahorse, a mandarin, a rainfords goby, and a longhorn cowfish. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My current ideas are: circus goby, gold assessor, or dracula goby. First 2 are hard to find and concerned the dracula goby needs sand.

20180721_102230.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A blenny will use the tunnel. A goby will stay at the bottom, but will be fine without sand.

Back