Yellow tang not eating much

CarterJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a yellow tang in a 120g with a kole tang and a one spot foxface. Got them all three from live aquaria two weeks ago yesterday. Ive been feeding a mix of formula two, shrimp mysis, and green algae strips. The other two eat pretty aggressively, but the yellow tang is pretty passive. He only seems to nibble around on the scraps the other fish leave, hard to tell really if he is even eating at all. He does come hang out around the other fish at feeding time though and I haven't noticed any aggression. The yellow tang stays hidden in the rock work more than the other two. He comes out and swims around some and seem to swim just fine. But he is definitely the shyest of the group. He seems pretty thin to me too. Is the shyness and lack of appetite just due to the new environment or is it something I should be worried about?

Also planning to follow the prophylactic treatment in Humble Fish's QT article. Dosed the first round of prazipro yesterday, haven't noticed any changes in the fish since then. Pictures should be in the next post.
Thanks!

OP
OP
CarterJ

CarterJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3819.JPG
IMG_3817.JPG

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller yellow tangs tend to be more cryptic and docile than adults.

Also, do you mean that you treated these fish in a qt per humblefish's protocol, they're in progress now, or you plan to do it now after putting them in the DT?

OP
OP
CarterJ

CarterJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller yellow tangs tend to be more cryptic and docile than adults.

Also, do you mean that you treated these fish in a qt per humblefish's protocol, they're in progress now, or you plan to do it now after putting them in the DT?

They are in progress of treatment now in the DT, but they are the only things in the tank.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in progress of treatment now in the DT, but they are the only things in the tank.
The only issue I see with this is that the DT has rock which will absorb medications. Test every day and if copper drops below the therapeutic range even a hair, start the clock over. This will take a bit longer.

Best of luck!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial thought is that the yellow tang seems to be bothered by a parasite.

You mention he seems interested in scraps, which ingredients in particular? Try feeding more of that. How often are you feeding? Smaller, more frequent feedings better replicate their natural feeding habits.

OP
OP
CarterJ

CarterJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial thought is that the yellow tang seems to be bothered by a parasite.

You mention he seems interested in scraps, which ingredients in particular? Try feeding more of that. How often are you feeding? Smaller, more frequent feedings better replicate their natural feeding habits.

I think he eats the formula two the best, hard to say though. I've been feeding 2-3 times a day

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things should start getting better if it was a parasite, especially after the second round.

OP
OP
CarterJ

CarterJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure the tang is getting worse. He is very lethargic and showing no interest in food. He is emaciated, you can count his ribs and his sides are sunken in. What can I do for him? Would moving him to a hospital tank by himself be of any benefit or less stressful to him than being under the tank lights and with other fish? Any way to get some nutrients into this poor guy?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting him in a tank on his own may or may not help. It doesn't sound good for this guy.

OP
OP
CarterJ

CarterJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, unfortunately I think the poor guy is a goner.
My 14 day guarantee from live aquaria expired this past Saturday. Any chance they would still work with me on getting a replacement?

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, unfortunately I think the poor guy is a goner.
My 14 day guarantee from live aquaria expired this past Saturday. Any chance they would still work with me on getting a replacement?

Call them. It can't hurt. They might want a picture of the fish. Maybe give you credit towards your next purchase.

OP
OP
CarterJ

CarterJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out my fiance, who was way ahead of me, emailed live aquaria a day or two ago about the problems we were having with the tang. They responded today with some advice and extended the guarantee. Unfortunately the fish died today, but live aquaria has agreed to refund us for the purchase price. I hate that we lost the fish, but it was nice to have Live aquaria work with us so easily.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back