Yellow Tang Question

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a yellow tang for about 3 months. I bought it at an LFS. The fish is a veracious eater. I feed a variety of frozen foods which I thaw in Garlic Guard. Every now and then i put dry seaweed into the tank, but probably not often enough. Today I noticed that the fish has what looks like dry skin above the eyes and a little on the nose area... it is a little whitish in those areas... Also I noticed that for the last few weeks the fish has been skittish... a little more reactive/jumpy than usual. It is still eating like a monster every time i feed and generally behaves well, but it doesn't look it's best. Prior to being in the DT it was treated with copper for a month in my QT.

Is this something to worry about or is it normal? Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

....One thing I just thought of is that a few weeks back i installed a controller for my MP40s and increased the flow in my tank as a result.. made it more varied than the constant speed it used to be set to. Not sure if this may have anything to do with it.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like HLLE to me, pics will help with ID

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that article was all over the place, basically everything causes hole in the head.
IMO it's primarily nutrition and water quality. I've never had an issue with HLLE by feeding a high variety of selcon enriched frozen foods (thawed and soaked in selcon after being drained) and lots of nori. Mixing up nori too, red nori is particularly nutritious.

Pfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO it's primarily nutrition and water quality. I've never had an issue with HLLE by feeding a high variety of selcon enriched frozen foods (thawed and soaked in selcon after being drained) and lots of nori. Mixing up nori too, red nori is particularly nutritious.

I'm honestly looking at my fishes now, I'm familiar with hlle from SA cichlids but have luckily never been affected by it. I agree that at least in freshwater cases it is due to high ammonia levels.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

^^Agree. Tangs need lots of nori. See below for more info.

Head & Lateral Line Erosion "HLLE":

Symptoms - HLLE literally looks as though the skin is rotting or peeling off the fish. Affected areas usually include the face and lateral line, and may be white in color.

Treatment options - This is more of a condition than an actual disease. Since no one can agree on the exact cause, all you can do is address all of the following theories regarding HLLE:

1) Stray voltage - Use a titanium ground probe & test your tank for stray voltage.
2) Running carbon - Don’t use it, or use only premium grade carbon.
3) Nutritional deficiency - Feed high quality nutritional foods. Some have had success reversing the effects of HLLE by soaking food in “fish vitamins” and also feeding nori.

OP
OP
tdyrkacz

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wouldn't stopping to run carbon have potential bad effects? Do you guys run carbon?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wouldn't stopping to run carbon have potential bad effects? Do you guys run carbon?

I do, but it's not a requirement. Running carbon is mainly useful for water clarity, and removing odors & toxins from the water. I only use the "good stuff" i.e. Rox 0.8 from BRS. And I'm a cheap old man. ;)

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, but it's not a requirement. Running carbon is mainly useful for water clarity, and removing odors & toxins from the water. I only use the "good stuff" i.e. Rox 0.8 from BRS. And I'm a cheap old man. ;)

+1
especially with the study showing fish exposed to carbon fines (dust) developed HLLE at a higher frequency than a control group. Now whether the dust is what caused the HLLE or was just a irritant that allowed the disease to get started is unknown.

I had a yellow tang that developed this in QT, I probably let my water quality slip to much. Feeding a varied and complete diet and adding Selcon to the frozen offering along with as much nori as the fish wanted, and improving the water quality seemed to reverse the disease.

I only use the good stuff too, that and it removes a larger range of molecule sizes and so a better filtration media without all the dust you get with most other carbon.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back