Yellow tang stopped eating/hiding

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tang karma for having him in a 40gal.. at any given time when there in to small a tank they can decide there to big for the tank and start stressing out. Which leads to more problems.

OP
OP
new2mac

new2mac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tang karma for having him in a 40gal.. at any given time when there in to small a tank they can decide there to big for the tank and start stressing out. Which leads to more problems.

Sounds pretty bad ... 80 gal is on its way but in this case I am not sure is enough

OP
OP
new2mac

new2mac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accidently (or not?) I just came across R2R article "Why do the tang police exist?" by Jeremy Gosnell. So with my 40gal the tang police could knock on my door long time ago and I wouldn't blame them. The bad condition of my tang might very well be as a result of its very limited habitat (should I say confinement?).

Great, great article BTW, a must read for anyone who's willing to have A Tang.

Todd A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question someone might be able to answer, and please understand I am new to the hobby and have been fortunate enough not to deal with this issue. If the Yellow Tang had been in the tank for 2 yrs with nothing new added for at least 8 months, how did the Velvet develop? From as far as I've read, this is long past the life cycle of the velvet dinoflagellate so how was the tank/fish infected?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Yellow Tang had been in the tank for 2 yrs with nothing new added for at least 8 months, how did the Velvet develop? From as far as I've read, this is long past the life cycle of the velvet dinoflagellate so how was the tank/fish infected?

One possibility: The fish developed natural immunity to velvet, but some studies I've read suggest that immunity can wear off or lessen after 6 months.

Another possibility: Almost any coral/invert is capable of introducing velvet via the tomont stage. Or cross contamination might have occurred from another source, all it takes is one dinospore in a droplet of water. I've learned over the years you almost never get the whole story in fish disease threads. ;)

Todd A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that scares the hell out of me. I've read countless articles and posts on how critical it is to QT fish, yet I can swipe out my entire DT by adding some new snails or a coral frag? That's a question that's crossed my mind but I just haven't seen anything stating that inverts and corals need to be quarantined.
Any feedback on this subject would be much appreciated.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 29 gal "fishless" frag tank. I place all corals/inverts in here for 76 days before they go into my DT. Just cheap T5 lighting, Koralia powerhead, HOB powerfilter, heater, rock/sand and a frag rack gets the job done. ;)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a small DT, a 10 gal frag tank will work as well. Or some people just use a nano or bio cube. Anywhere where you can put the corals/inverts for 76 days in a fishless environment.

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or cross contamination might have occurred from another source, all it takes is one dinospore in a droplet of water.

I can see this happening. Now that I have three tanks (1 mix reef, 1 fish only, and 1 cichlid) I do my best to try and keep anything from mixing. When every I work on one tank I wash my hands before touching another tank. I have three nets (one for each tank) I have three syphon hoses (again one for each tank) I even use three different 5ml syn to take water out for testing of each tank. Even when I clean supplies I don't clean them together.

learned over the years you almost never get the whole story in fish disease threads. ;)

Also working in IT and watching the show House nothing is more true than "Everyone Lies" even if they don't mean to everyone lies.

Jacqulu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger tank is on its way but will take a few more months before migration. As for the stress, you made a good point but where the stress would come from at the moment? So I should just give him some time to recover?

Jacqulu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had tangs for years now. I did have yellow tang hide and would not come out to eat when fish were fed. So I put food behind the rocks where he was hiding and he did eat. But I noticed that the purple tang and foxface were going into his corner and eating his food. I'm sure he was hiding because the other two fish being aggressive.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back