Yellow Tang with Ich

roadkeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang has specks of white on him this morning. It looks like salt specks. Is this ich? I am currently getting a quarantine tank ready to put him in...

20140427_075134.jpg

rob7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep just keep feeding him little amounts 5 to 6 times aday should clear up on its own

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why get a QT tank ready now? ICH is already in your DT with the fish. Keep him well fed and he will survive it on his own. I dislike putting a fish in the DT, finding out that it has ICH, then stressing the crap outta the fish to catch him and put him in QT, not a good idea, unless your planning on meds or Hypo, I'd just leave well enough alone at this stage and watch him.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting topic. So to the posters who say that 1) the ich now is in the DT so leave him be and feed him regularly and 2) don't stress the fish anymore then it already is, can the ich go away on its own? I have read up on this and from my understanding that when the cysts fall off the fish they just release a new round of parasitic spores in the water and the cysts are the last stage on the fish and that the ich really grows in the gills where we cannot see it. Will the ich now remain in the tank for good until a new host is found. I'm interested to know from the OP if there any other fish in the tank. What about them? And lastly, if the tang clears up and if there aren't other fish in the tank, when would it be safe to add more fish?

Thanks in advance

Nurse Payne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich will remain in the DT unless it is allowed to run fallow for 8 weeks. If there are other fish in the tank, they are susceptible to the ich as well. Ich is able to produce rapidly in a closed system such as an aquarium, where in the wild, the ocean is much more dilute.

The best thing to do is remove all fish to a QT, let the DT run fallow or else every fish you introduce into the DT stands the risk of ich. It's not what anyone wants to hear, but it's the safest method. If the fish has ich, it's already stressed. Do a low salinity dip before placing in the qt and it will give the tang some much needed relief.

lberkman17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My juvenile blue powder tang had ick within the first week I had her in my tank. I used Instant ocean Lifeguard and started feeding Ocean Nutrition Seaweed Select Red Marine Algae with natural garlic extract. The ick was gone in 3 days. Ick never can back on tang or any of my 4 fish. The treat I was told by many fish stores is get your tang healthy eating all will be fine. Here is my tang one year later.
image.jpg

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know it's not immediate treatment but dont cleaner shrimps rid ich on fish? especially tangs.. i feel like i don't want to have tangs without a skunk cleaner shrimp. to me it's like an anemone and a clown

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Cleaner Shrimp can do a service, until they find out you feed the tank. My tank is full of Tangs, I don't have any shrimp at all, never ran a QT either.

Dan1789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar thing happened to me. I tried to just keep the fish fed and happy, but eventually all my fish died from it. I now use a QT for ALL new fish. Take them out and treat them and let the tank run fallow for 8-12 weeks is what I would/did do.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tang clears up and gets no more spots and the remaining fish show immunity and do not show any spots for 8-12 weeks would it be safe to assume the ich would be gone as if the tank had been run fallow?

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't it still be there if running the tank fallow? How is it different. I'm confused

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its complicated. The fish can kinda get immune to it, kinda, they can go about their business on a daily basis, then one day you decide to move the tank around, BAM, all of a sudden the ding dong gets ICH again, how can this be??? You've not added a fish in a year. Well, it kinda stays around without notice.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then how is running tank fallow different? Seems to me that if the parasite hasn't hosted in 8-12 weeks then life cycle can't continue. You're right it's complicated

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why get a QT tank ready now? ICH is already in your DT with the fish. Keep him well fed and he will survive it on his own. I dislike putting a fish in the DT, finding out that it has ICH, then stressing the crap outta the fish to catch him and put him in QT, not a good idea, unless your planning on meds or Hypo, I'd just leave well enough alone at this stage and watch him.

I worked for a LFS and have been keeping marine fish a long time. I agree with Reefing Madness that if the fish is still eating well and your water quality is excellent just keep an eye on him. You can soak the fish food in garlic to help. They really do seem to build up an immunity against it. Do not add any new fish as you want to keep stress in the tank at a minimum. The older inhabitants, if they are healthy probably have a good slime coating as a defense and I run a UV to kill ich in the free swim stage to also slow the spread. I have not lost a fish to ich in many years.

Mgoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know it's not immediate treatment but dont cleaner shrimps rid ich on fish? especially tangs.. i feel like i don't want to have tangs without a skunk cleaner shrimp. to me it's like an anemone and a clown

I dont think cleaner shrimp or wrasses will help with ich at all

Mgoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my hippo and yellow tang had ich when in the QT, I used Ich attack from Kordon and they both recovered fully. The yellow tang has been in the DT for a year now and the hippo has been in DT for around 5 months. I also used Garlic extreme and Selcon

Dan1789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish remain in the tank the ich will always be there still. Just because you can't see it on the exterior of the fish does not mean its gone. You just can't see it. Research the life cycle.

Mjpisanti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting topic, not to take away from the original question but would a uv light or skimmer help to kill off some of the ich still swimming around in the tank over a period of time?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 69 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back